We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golden Bay - Day trip or overnight?

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Sudbury
Level Contributor
570 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
Golden Bay - Day trip or overnight?

I will be spending 5 nights in the Abel Tasman area.

Should I stay 4 nights closer to the park and 1 night near Golden Bay? Or should I make Golden Bay a day trip?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Golden Bay - Day trip or overnight?

A day trip is possible with early start, but to see and explore overnight highly recommended. It is worth the drive to Collingwood/Farewell Spit tour starting point (even if you don't do the tour)

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golden Bay - Day trip or overnight?

Depending if you are doing one of the through walks in Abel Tasman or just day trips. If doing day trips via wildlife tours or water taxis, you'll probably see most of what you want to see in a one or two days from the Kaiteriteri side.

Two or three days in Golden Bay would give you time to explore many other vistas and attractions the area has to offer. Farewell Spit as Dev suggests. Lots of other things to see and do in Golden Bay. It is far more folksy and down to earth than the touristy precincts of Kaiteriteri and Marahau.

For example, The Labyrinth, The Grove, and Milnthorpe Park present opportunities of easily accessible wonderful forest walks at no cost.

Caving, climbing, beach walks, horse treking etc.An amazing collection of large vibrantly coloured community murals. The wonderfully iconic Village Theater for film viewing in armchair/sofa comfort. Lots of accommodation options.

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Sudbury
Level Contributor
570 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golden Bay - Day trip or overnight?

Thanks for the input. I am convinced to stay overnight in Golden Bay and am now thinking 3 nights in Abel Tasman and 2 nights in Golden Bay.

Any suggestions for where we should stay in Golden Bay? Maybe a nice B&B near the beach?

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golden Bay - Day trip or overnight?

Numerous options. Top 10 campgrounds at Pohara has cabins and caravans. Nearby you have Ratanui Lodge which is quite new and more upmarket with a high quality restaurant.

There are many B n Bs around Golden Bay. Google for BnBs near Pohara, Tata Beach, Ligar Bay. (Pohara is closest beach to shops and Takaka. Patons Rocks is a sleepy little coastal bach settlement if you want somewhere more quiet. Some nice places up in Collingwood, which is a much smaller township with limited grocery shopping.

Spoilt for choice in Golden Bay. Research the activities and sights you are most interested in and choose accommodation nearby. Time of year for your visit makes a difference as many places close over winter.

Depending how it fits in with your arrival times, ongoing travels, and what activities you want to do in Abel Tasman, you might find two days in the park and three days in Golden Bay a better mix. But your choice. (Note that you can use Golden Bay Air to fly between Golden Bay and Wellington daily.)

You can also access Abel Tasman park from Golden Bay side. But if your time is limited, probably more efficient to use water taxis from Kaiteriteri side. There are services also available from Tarakohe Harbour in G/B but not as frequent.

Edited: 30 September 2012, 21:01
TN
Level Contributor
506 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golden Bay - Day trip or overnight?

We are planning to rent a cute eco cottage overlooking Wainui Bay later this year. Haven't been there yet so can't give a review but rates are reasonable and location looks splendid. goldenbayhideaway.co.nz/abodes/little_greenie

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Golden Bay - Day trip or overnight?

Sweet little building bordering on the intentional community of Tui. Owner, Laurence has a strong commitment to sustainable ecobuilding. Mostly regenerating pasturelands. Slopes above Tui community are becoming well forested after a couple of decades of determined effort.

You may be allowed to visit Tui's natural skin care cosmetic production home of Tui Balms. Walking distance to the start of the Abel Tasman NP coastal track. Nice walk out to Taupo Point, significant to early Maori settlement in the region. Minutes away from Wainui Falls. A short drive from the wonderful golden sands of Totaranui.

Wainui Bay is a very shallow estuary and when the tide is out, is a vast mudflats. Not a great kayaking site but once you are across to the other side, some interesting paddling around the mussel farms and rocky coastline which has the occasional seal. In the other direction, once past Taupo Point, it can get quite windy. But lots of interesting exploration for the capable kayaker.

Disadvantage is that it is a long way from the rest of Golden Bay. There are no nearby shops or fuel so takes a bit of planning to make sure you don't run short. Enjoy your stay

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Golden Bay - Day trip or overnight?

Elsie44, I just took a look at the Hippie House and the House Truck, both look fab but appear to be booked when we will be in that area in Feb, looked fab too! :( It was excatly what I'd been looking for, for a 1 night romantic treat and a very reasonable price too!

Will have to keep looking

TN
Level Contributor
506 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Golden Bay - Day trip or overnight?

Great info Joan! I have second guessed the location but like that it is near the quiet side of the Abel Tasman track. We will be there at New Year's and thought Motueka might be a little too busy. Hoping to do day trips to Golden Bay, Farewell Spit, etc.

Nardine - sorry the availability did not work out. Paton's Rock Beach Villas also look clean, cute and quiet. Another option we considered was Eatery on the Rock cottages.

Edited: 02 October 2012, 13:28
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,399 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Golden Bay - Day trip or overnight?

Thanks Elsie, I'll check them out, I get a bit of hotel blindness after a while....

Motueka
Level Contributor
36 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Golden Bay - Day trip or overnight?

I've stayed at Little Greenie - it's a wonderful little cottage, really comfortable, modern and warm yet rustic with stuning views - and it's the most energy efficient house in New Zealand.

Get answers to your questions about Abel Tasman National...