We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the track still peaceful?

Perth, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Is the track still peaceful?

Hi, We did the track 25 years ago and now want to take our teenage children on the walk. I keep reading about water taxi's and wonder how busy and noisy it is. We love being in nature and I am not sure if the Able Tasman is now too noisy. ( We recently did the Milford Track a and loved it.). Lyn - Perth

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,635 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the track still peaceful?

There is very limited accommodation on the AT and relatively few stages that are regularly accessed by water taxis with day-trippers so IMO the track is far from crowded, esp if you start at Mutton Cove, which is the furtherest point the water taxis will take you. There is a seal colony there that you can swim with if you keep your distance from the seals!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,488 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the track still peaceful?

As a local we use to walk the Abel Tasman frequently. Now it is just busy, but it is still beautiful. however, my biggest dislike is the noise from boats. Two suggestions. Either go North from totaranui to Mutton Cove or stay in smaller campsites. Or do the Queen charlotte Track. It is stunning with some great accommodation options such as mistletoe bay, lochmara, punga cove, resolution cabins.

It also depends on the time of year you walk. in winter it is much quieter and less boats and people.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,488 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the track still peaceful?

zhuhai is incorrect in saying there are relatively few stages accessed by water taxis for day trippers. there are a number of differentwater taxi companies and they will pick up and drop you off anywhere if it is prebooked. And some nice campsites like Akersten are well worth visiting and a nice walk from Marahau end

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the track still peaceful?

Many complain of the intrusive helicopter and plane noise at Milford Sound and when doing the Milford Track - at certain times Milford Sound has the busiest runway in the country. So if the plane noise at Milford didn't bother you I doubt a few boats buzzing about will bother you at ATNP.

Enjoy :)

California
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the track still peaceful?

The water taxis when we were in AT were far enough out you really didn't hear them. There were quite a few people on the section of track we did from Bark Bay to Anchorage.

We also did a quickie early morning hike on Queen Charlotte from Anikiwa to Davies Bay and back. It was very peaceful. I commented to my husband that it's a good thing Kiwi's haven't discovered jet skis. Or are they banned?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the track still peaceful?

I wish jet skis were banned from swimming beaches, but alas they aren't. It only takes one or two on Lake Wanaka to create a noise nuisance.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,488 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the track still peaceful?

It isnt the water taxis that provide the noise. Its the private boats and water skiers. Wanaka lakes I agree. I honestly wouldnt consider walking the Abel

tasman in January, just too busy. But other times of the year it would must less populated.

Motueka
Level Contributor
37 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the track still peaceful?

I would like to agree with the comments about the Abel Tasman Track being spectacularly peaceful outside the period mid Dec to mid March. Also, commercial operators are very aware of their effect on a peaceful environment, so nip in and out of beaches quickly and as quietly as possible. It's the recreational boats that create the noise. Avoid beaches that allow water skiing (that includes jet skis and other motorised activity) as detailed in the new Foreshore Management Plan: Totaranui, Anchorage and Stilwell Bay.

Nelson
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the track still peaceful?

If you like quiet then the walk north from Totaranui is hard to beat, no commercial activity is allowed north of Totaranui so no water taxis, kayak tours nor conducted walks and the most peaceful stunning coast!!

10. Re: Is the track still peaceful?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 March 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Abel Tasman National...