We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christchurch to Abel Tasman Park?

Pleasant Hill...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Christchurch to Abel Tasman Park?

Hi There,

We only have 11 days to tour the South Island and we want to cram a lot in. Unfortunately, we are going to have to skip Kaikoura, Blenheim and Nelson since we want to spend most of our time in Fiorland. Although, I have been told not to miss Abel Tasman National Park. Therefore we are going straight to Abel (by campervan) from Christchurch before we head down the West Coast. What is the best way to get from Christchurch to Abel Tasman with a nice stop for lunch along the way? It appears it will take about 6 hours, does that sound about right? What is the best route and where should we stop along the way? Thanks

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,277 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christchurch to Abel Tasman Park?

It is a long day for a single driver - i drove from Chch to Nelson just last month. The most direct route is via the Lewis Pass. Aamaps.co.nz gives the drive time as 6 hours to Marahau if you avoid going into Nelson.

You can get coffee/food/fuel at Springs Junction & Murchison.

Pleasant Hill...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christchurch to Abel Tasman Park?

Thanks, that looks like a feasible route with a few stops along the way. We'll most likely go to Hanmer Springs first then Murchison on our way up to Marahua. We decided against a campervan and will rent a car and stay at motels in stead. I've read it might actually save a bit of $ this way. Although, do you think we need to make reservations in advance? I'd prefer to just pull into town and pick a spot (I have a few hotels in mind for each town). That way we can have a bit more flexibility and not feel rushed to get to our next motel. Since the last half of April is not peak season, will we need advance reservations or will there be plenty of availability?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christchurch to Abel Tasman Park?

You shouldn't need to book in advance as long as you aren't just wanting budget accommodation - it is always the first to book up. If you arrive in places early afternoon you are likely to have more options than arriving late in the day.

We have been enjoying many months of hot, settled weather here in Nelson - enjoy :)

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christchurch to Abel Tasman Park?

We drove from Chch to Marahau a couple of weeks ago. Left around midday and had dinner in Kaiteriteri at 5.30pm. Going via Kaiteriteri is a very minor detour but Marahau is only 10-15 minutes further on. I find Kaiteriteri a much nicer town than Marahau and the beach at Kaiteriteri beats Marahau's hands down.

Lewis pass is the right way to go, it is a lovely drive. We usually stop at Springs Junction; petrol station / tearooms / motel and awesome mountain scenery, but not a lot else there. Watch out for the sandflies.

Edited: 15 March 2013, 08:44
5. Re: Christchurch to Abel Tasman Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2014, 05:16