We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Availability of safe potable water at Abel Tasman huts

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
599 reviews
Save Topic
Availability of safe potable water at Abel Tasman huts

I've read on the DOC website that there are no cooking facilities in the huts along the track, but that there is potable water. However, it's also mentioned that the water may not be safe to drink unless boiled first. For those of you that have done the track, what is the availability of safe potable water? It will make a big difference to our hike if we have to carry water for 3 days, and/or cooking pots.

Thanks very much for any help.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
3,130 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Availability of safe potable water at Abel Tasman huts

They say that to cover themselves. We have always drunk the water at DOC huts, and have never had any ill effects. You do not need to carry water. The water is usually rainwater from a tank. In more remote areas a stream will be piped to the tank. I have not done the AT recently, but can't recall the water not being safe. We did the track with three small children, including a toddler, and I think I would remember having to boil water for them. You could grab some iodine tablets if you wanted to be doubly sure.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,820 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Availability of safe potable water at Abel Tasman huts

There is limited drinking water available at main huts. However, like other users we havent had a problem with drinking the water. Like above post says, take aquatablets if you are concerned and use them.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Availability of safe potable water at Abel Tasman huts

We carry a water filter to be sure. It cost less than $100 and weighs about 400g. That way we can take water from any stream along the track, and we only need small water bottles.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,107 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Availability of safe potable water at Abel Tasman huts

We bought a standard water bottle with a filter in the top. That seems to work well. As a government department DOC are so safety conscious that if there is a remote chance the water is unsafe they are likely to put a massive sign on the tsp

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Availability of safe potable water at Abel Tasman huts

Thanks everyone for the info.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Availability of safe potable water at Abel Tasman huts

I drink water from backcountry NZ streams tarns and huts but I believe the Abel Tasman has much higher rates of giardia than most of the country. It is one place that I WOULDN'T risk drinking untreated/unfiltered water. Most water taps in the park will have a sign saying that water should be treated.

However Anchorage, Bark Bay and Totaranui have treated water supplies where you can refill safely. I'm not certain about Whariwharangi.

You should still carry some method of treating water, just in case the filtered water supplies are not functioning when you are there. I would go with tablets, something like AquaTabs. They are very light to carry, they don't taste great but we add flavouring such as Raro powder to the water. And hopefully you won't have to use them anyway.

Carrying a single cooking pot (that is all you need), a cooker, and gas shouldn't be too difficult especially if you can share between a group. Otherwise do you plan to eat cold meals the whole trip?

Have a great trip, it is a wonderful spot.

7. Re: Availability of safe potable water at Abel Tasman huts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Abel Tasman National...