We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abel Tasman

Near London
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Abel Tasman

As we are driving direct from Hokitika to Motueka in one day we will now have a spare night in our itinerary - luxury! We could now spend 3 nights in the Abel Tasman area. We plan to do a kyak/walk on one day - can anyone please recommend a day self guided walk for the other day? Or we could spend two nights in AT and then one night in the Marlborough Sounds area before driving to Kaikoura - any suggestions welcome! Or would it be worth spending our spare night south of Christchurch at Akaroa?

Many thanks.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abel Tasman

Once you arrive in Motueka visit the i-SITE for maps and advice. Given the weather - which should be lovely - etc, you can then decide which sections of track to walk plus timings of water taxis etc, if needed.

Enjoy :)

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Abel Tasman

There is plenty else to see and do in the area too - I would book your Abel Tasman tour for the first day and play it by ear for the second day - see if you want to go back or if you feel like doing something else. eg winery/brewery tour, art and craft trail, spend a day in Nelson, do a day hike in Kahurangi, drive over to Golden Bay, do some type of adventure activity eg canyoning, horseridng, etc etc etc.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Abel Tasman

two places I really love Abel Tasman national park, and queen charlotte sound. If you can, I do recommend a cruise and walk day tour of queen charlotte sound in zmarlborough as well as Abel tasman in Nelson

tasman area.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 07:50
Near London
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Abel Tasman

Thanks for your advice. Really pleased that I have managed to include Abel Tasman on our itinerary and so really looking forward to seeing the area.

5. Re: Abel Tasman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Abel Tasman National...