We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days in Abel Tasman…suggestions?

Kodiak, AK
7 posts
Save Topic
Two days in Abel Tasman…suggestions?

We will be in the Nelson/Abel Tasman area for 2 days/3 nights in mid December. I am thinking one day of hiking and one day of kayaking. Any suggestions for specific hikes or outfits to go with? Or alternative ways to spend our two days!

Thanks!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,304 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two days in Abel Tasman…suggestions?

Most of the companies also offer cruise, kayak and walk options, including overnight. Check out Abel Tasman Aquataxis as they also have a sleep option with the aquapackers, i.e. a boat moored at anchorage. So you can cruise, do a kayak for a day, stay overnight at anchorage, and then walk out.

However, Wilsons experiences, Abel Tasman Sea Shuttles, AQuataxis all have different options available

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two days in Abel Tasman…suggestions?

We really enjoyed the walk from Tonga Bay to Torrent Bay - we took a water taxi to Tonga and were collected at Torrent (freedom walked) - we clocked it at 7.25 miles - took us just under four hours. Nice way to spend the day.

Christchurch
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Two days in Abel Tasman…suggestions?

I took the aquataxi to Bark Bay and walked back to the start, don't remember how long it took but when we did it in a more relaxed way a few years later that distance was a 2 day walk, so maybe 6 hrs or so. They were really helpful at the i-site in Nelson which is where I booked it all.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two days in Abel Tasman…suggestions?

One day kayaking, a night in the park, and one day walking would be perfect. (Or walking followed by kayaking).

Suggest that if possible you avoid walking the very start of the track ie Marahau to Anchorage, it starts off a bit boring and not very pretty - it's still OK, just not so nice as further in.

And it can be hard work kayaking south to north past the headland with Anchorage / Te Pukatea Bay / Watering Cove on it (head wind and a bit choppy unless you are really lucky with the weather). Otherwise any section is great to walk or kayak.

Kodiak, AK
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Two days in Abel Tasman…suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I need to do a bit more research. We have a hotel booked for Nelson and were planning to base out of there. Maybe this was a mistake!

6. Re: Two days in Abel Tasman…suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Abel Tasman National...