We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you arrange a walk on the Abel Tasman trek

California
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
How do you arrange a walk on the Abel Tasman trek

My wife and I (60's) have heard about the Abel Tasman hike for more than 20 years. We are thinking of a trek on the Abel Tasman trail for 4-5 days in February. How do we figure out how to get to the start of the trek and then how to get back? Do we drive to the start and leave our car there? Is there an outfitter that will arrange the trip for us on a self-guided basis? Which company is recommended for this? Do we have to bring sleeping bags and food or are there catered huts/accomodations along the way (which is what we would prefer)?

Many thanks for any guidance on this subject.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you arrange a walk on the Abel Tasman trek

there are a number of water taxi operators to choose from, plus you can tent or stay in cabins or the more luxurious lodges.

Begin your planning by checking out Wilson's - they offer full packages, and less, as needed - http://www.abeltasman.co.nz/

best book smartly as ATNP is hugely popular in Feb.

Happy planning :)

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,820 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you arrange a walk on the Abel Tasman trek

You do not need to book with a guided walk. But if you want to stay in the catered lodges in the park you do need to go with Wilsons. plenty of parking at Marahua or Totaranui. Buses from Nelson also take you to start of track. Lots of water taxis to get you from one end to the other. Aqua taxis, wilsons, abel tasman sea shuttles, marahau water taxi are just a few.

You will need to book to stay at DOC huts.

The most common trip is Marahau to Anchorage. Stay at anchorage. then to bark bay. stay at bark bay. then to awaroa, stay at awaroa and out to totaranui. Water taxi back.

You will need to check tides at awaroa and big tonga. Can only cross a couple of hours before and after low tide. So will need to consider. you can also do it in reverse and take the water taxi first if the tides work.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,225 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do you arrange a walk on the Abel Tasman trek

If you have 4-5 days, you have time to walk the entire track. You leave your car at Marahau and get a water taxi out to Mutton Cove, then walk back. It is much easier to start with a deadline and finish whenever you reach your car than VV.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do you arrange a walk on the Abel Tasman trek

You can do a guided walk (it sounds from the above posts like this needs to be booked through Wilsons - I wouldn't know), but most people do it independently. The things you would need to arrange to do it yourself are

- DOC hut bookings (doc.govt.nz)

- check the tide times and walking times before booking your huts. There are two spots that you have to walk at low tide or within 2 hours. At other places there is a shortcut if you are there at low tide, but there are high tide options

Track details are at:

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Tide timetable is at:

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

- transport to and from the track. You can drive to Marahau or Totaranui and book yourself a water taxi to get back to your car after you finish the track (or to take you to the far end to start). Or you can book public transport (eg bus) from Nelson to one end of the track, then from the far end back to Nelson. It's easy to find operators for both water taxis and buses / shuttles with a Google search.

- walking gear and equipment. If staying in DOC huts you need your own sleeping bags, gas cooker, pot(s), cutlery and bowls, torch. Make sure you have clothing for wet and cold weather, even if you are going in February. Huts should have a filtered water supply, but it is recommended to take some method for treating water just in case the filter is broken. Aquatabs are cheap and light to carry. The DOC website has more information on equipment

- food. Chose stuff that cooks quickly and without needing multiple pots / cookers. There may be food available for sale at Awaroa but in general you need to carry everything you will need for the track.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,820 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do you arrange a walk on the Abel Tasman trek

Nothing for sale at Awaroa unless you at Awaroa Peppers resort.

there are absolutely no shops on the Abel Tasman Sam, except at Totaranui with only a very few things.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do you arrange a walk on the Abel Tasman trek

We never looked for shops when I was there (three times now - Coast track, Inland and Coast tracks, and kayaking), that's why I wasn't sure. Thanks for clarifying Poppy

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,225 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do you arrange a walk on the Abel Tasman trek

You can have a meal at the Awaroa Lodge!! I arranged for my tent to be water-taxied in since I couldn't get a hut booking for Awaroa & while I was picking it up I had a coffee & next morning I had breakfast there!!! Very luxurious compared with other Great Walks. You can also get ice-creams & the like at Totaranui (not sure if this counts as "food"!!)

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,820 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do you arrange a walk on the Abel Tasman trek

zhuhai, when you say Awaroa Lodge I think you mean Peppers Awaroa resort. The lodge was sold and peppers now run it.

http://www.peppers.co.nz/awaroa/

I do suggest you check that backpackers are still welcome at the cafe. I had heard that they turned some away. But without knowing the full circumstances I would suggest you check, The Peppers resort is some distance from the doc campground, about 20 to 30 minute walk.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do you arrange a walk on the Abel Tasman trek

The Peppers Awaroa Lodge website currently says:

"The cafe and restaurant is open daily for breakfast, lunch and dinner serving both inhouse guests and walkers on the Abel Tasman Coastal Track."

Looks like it is about 1km off the main track; and 4.5kms from Awaroa Hut via tracks (maybe 2.5km at low tide if you walk across the estuary?)

10. Re: How do you arrange a walk on the Abel Tasman trek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Abel Tasman National...