We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abel Tasman in the beginning of April

Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Abel Tasman in the beginning of April

We are coming to New Zealand for part of March/April. With the way our itinerary is panning out it looks like we will be in the Abel Tasman area at the beginning of April. Is that still an okay time to come? We could rearrange things to get there earlier but it would not be great for our plans in the North Island. Our next question is how to do the track - do most people do 5 days/4 nights or is it condensed more often into 3 nights and 4 days? Thanks!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abel Tasman in the beginning of April

Great time to do the track. Just be aware of NZ Easter holidays mid April.

I highly recommend you do a mixture of kayaking and walking. So many different options. You will need to book DOC huts or campsites. A suggestion would be to kayak to anchorage first day, stay hut. then walk to bark bay, then awaroa and out to totaranui. It depends how fit you are and if you are staying in tents. If you are in tents then you can condense to 3 nights. Its a beautiful area.

lots of water taxi options to get around as well.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Abel Tasman in the beginning of April

We walked Marahau to Anchorage day 1, Anchorage to awaroa day 2, and awaroa to totaranui day 3. Day 2 was quite a long day but day 3 was very short. It also depends if you are going further north than Totaranui, that would need an extra day. Kayaking part of it is highly recommended too, I did a separate 3 night kayaking trip last year which was amazing. April should be fine; the temperature may not be so good for swimming but also the track may be less crowded. Hoping for good weather for you - you will love it.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Abel Tasman in the beginning of April

Suggest you check the distances.

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

it is sad to walk walk walk, and then not get to enjoy the lovely beaches, sights. Also in April the daylight hours are reduced. Awaroa is tidal so walking from Awaroa to Totaranui can only be done couple of hours either side of low tide. So be sure to check tidal charts before final planning.

Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Abel Tasman in the beginning of April

Thanks for all of the feedback - we are planning to stay in huts. I'd love to kayak part of it...how do you do that? I've done quite a bit of research between tripadvisor/the DOC website/google but I'm a bit confused...do you get a guide if you kayak part of it? My husband and I have kayaked 1x before on an all day tour on Lake Superior that we really enjoyed but I wouldn't call us experts at it by any means...

Edited: 20 January 2014, 16:24
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Abel Tasman in the beginning of April

I would definitely suggest you kayak with a group. lots of companies provide kayaks, but I suggest you try Abel

tasman kayaks as we used them a few weeks ago and were great http://www.abeltasmankayaks.co.nz/home I suggest you contact them and advise you want to do a guided kayak to Anchorage, and then do your own walk. They will be able to advise you. You will also need to arrange water taxi from totaranui back to marahau. Abel

tasman aqua taxis is most frequently used from marahau. but there is also marahau water taxi. wilsons, and sea shuttle operate from kaiteriteri.

Wisconsin Rapids...
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Abel Tasman in the beginning of April

Okay, so one more question regarding this....when I look at the DOC website and such it says there are two spots after Totanarui...Whariwharangi and Wainui. Do most people stop at Totaranui? Would that be the best way to do it in order to maximize our time there?

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Abel Tasman in the beginning of April

Actually North of Totaranui is still stunning. Mutton Cove is one of my favourites. Whariwharangi is very nice. Its just that the circuit involves walk back over Gibbs Hill back to Totaranui. Water taxi pick Northern pickup is at Totaranui, although it can be done at Mytton cove by arrangement. So for most people Totaranui is the most convenient finish.

8. Re: Abel Tasman in the beginning of April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2015, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Abel Tasman National...