We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking Abel Tasman - better from the North or South?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking Abel Tasman - better from the North or South?

We're heading to the South Island in a few weeks and kayaking Abel Tasman is at the top of our list. We have friends that have spent three days kayaking from the South and highly recommend it. What about a kayak trip starting in Golden Bay? Any thoughts either way? Pros/Cons?

Thanks!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kayaking Abel Tasman - better from the North or South?

I forgot to mention that the predominant wind is northerly or NE. So travelling north to south is generally more preferable paddling!

NC
Level Contributor
486 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kayaking Abel Tasman - better from the North or South?

Thanks. I missed the all day kayak on Abel Tasman Kayak because their summary description just said it started at Onetahuti and not where it ended. Can't anything be easy? There's kayak Awaroa to Onetahuiti then walk to Bark Bay; kayak RT Onetahuti to Tonga Island then walk to Bark Bay or kayak Onetahuti to Tonga to Bark Bay and hike to Anchorage. My head is about to explode trying to decide!

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kayaking Abel Tasman - better from the North or South?

Yes, there are many many options. If you can go at high tide and kayak up the falls river that is awesome.

that is between Bark Bay and Anchorage. But let me assure you whatever you do it will be wonderful. all the bays have stunning beaches.

NC
Level Contributor
486 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Kayaking Abel Tasman - better from the North or South?

Assuming I looked it up right, low tide will be at 11:13 so it doesn't sound like that will be an option.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Kayaking Abel Tasman - better from the North or South?

Doesnt matter, you get to then enjoy more beach.

the beauty of Abel Tasman is that it is stunning high or low tide.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Kayaking Abel Tasman - better from the North or South?

A lot depends on the way the wind is blowing on the day. Be aware the abel tasman is big ?,

NC
Level Contributor
486 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Kayaking Abel Tasman - better from the North or South?

OK. Given that all the options I'm looking at go to Tonga Island, any thoughts on which section would be more interesting to kayak around low tide: Awaroa to Onetahuti OR Onetahuti to Bark Bay?

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Kayaking Abel Tasman - better from the North or South?

It really depends on what else you are doing? How many nights you in abel

tasman?

where you walking or boating to and from?

Edited: 07 February 2014, 18:39
NC
Level Contributor
486 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Kayaking Abel Tasman - better from the North or South?

We only have one day in Abel Tasman and one day in Golden Bay. All will boat to the kayak starting point in the north and kayak, then walk, then boat south to Marahau. There's a kayak from Awaroa to Onetahuiti, then walk to Bark Bay and boat back. A kayak from Onetahuti to Tonga Island and back, walk to Bark Bay and boat back or kayak Onetahuti to Tonga to Bark Bay, walk to Anchorage and boat back.

Weather and time (and energy ;-) permitting, we will be going to Wharariki Beach, Rawhiti Cave, The Grove, Wainui Falls, Wainui Bay/Taupo Point Route, Riwaka Resurgence and PuPu Springs our day in Golden Bay.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
424 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Kayaking Abel Tasman - better from the North or South?

For low tide I would suggest kayak from onetahuti to bark bay. Then walk from Bark Bay to anchorage.At low tide you can walk the section from torrent to anchorage across the estuary.

The walk from Bark Bay to Anchorage is the most varied walk. You cross the suspension bridge on falls river, and also can do a diversion walk to cleopatras pools.

Kayking around tonga island and the seals is always interesting.

You will need to check travelling distances in Golden Bay as you will not be able to do all you have planned without lots of rushing, and then you just wont enjoy it all!

Edited: 07 February 2014, 20:51
Get answers to your questions about Abel Tasman National...