We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting to the "great walks" without a hire car

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
getting to the "great walks" without a hire car

Greetings, fellow travellers.

I'd like to walk the Tasman, Milford Sound, and Kepler tracks, but don't want to rent a hire car. How easy is it to get around by public transport? I have at most a month for my trip, so wasting hours on connections is not a good option.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Patricia

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,554 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting to the "great walks" without a hire car

Welcome to the NZ Forum. These are probably the three most popular of the Great Walks so well served by public transport in the peak season. I assume you will coming next summer, rather than attempting these in the winter months? Which NZ city are you starting from?

ATNP- you have to get to the city of Nelson first by bus or air. Water taxis leave from the nearby beaches of Kaiteriteri & Marahau & I'm not sure who runs the connections between. You can do any length of walk from hours to about 5 days as the water taxi will pick you up again if you wish.

The Milford & Kepler tracks both begin in the town of Te Anau, which doesn't have an airport so you need to fly or bus to Queenstown, then on to Te Anau. Flights from Nelson would usually route through Christchurch as would a bus. The bus route would take a minimum of 2 days, but the alternative route via the West Coast glaciers could take 3-5 days, depending on what sightseeing you wanted to do enroute.

The Kepler is a loop which can be commenced at the DoC office in the town. You need 2 or 3 nights on the track.

The Milford Track is the most tightly regulated - you must stay 1 night in each hut & must commence at Te Anau. You need to book the boat ride across the lake at the same time as booking your huts. I assume you can get a shuttle bus to the jetty. At the end of the Track, you need to book a boat out from Sandfly Point to Milford Sound and then any number of coaches will take you back to Te Anau or on to Queenstown.

You must book the huts early esp for Milford as there is a limit of 40 trampers per day.

Mentioned in this post
Milford Track
Milford Track
305 Reviews
Fiordland National Park, New Zealand
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,626 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Nelson
Nelson
Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
Te Anau
Te Anau
Fiordland National Park, New Zealand
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,319 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting to the "great walks" without a hire car

The great walks, which includes abel tasman, heaphy, milford sound and Kepler all have transport options. …govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/… is a good place to start for Abel Tasman.

3. Re: getting to the "great walks" without a hire car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 April 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Abel Tasman National...