We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive time/best place to spend night

Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Topic
Drive time/best place to spend night

We will be driving from Madrid to Potes which I understand takes about 5 hours. I would like to break the trip up since we will be on an overnight flight upon arrival to Madrid. Can anyone recommend a nice area 2 1/2 - 3 hours north of Madrid to spend the night?

4 replies to this topic
Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive time/best place to spend night

It depends rather how you're intending to get to Potes, either via Valladolid or via Burgos. The latter is quicker, cheaper (no road tolls this way) and easier, as Barajas airport same side of Madrid as the A1 motorway to Burgos.

If that was the case, then you could stop in Burgos itself overnight, a 2 hour drive from Barajas more or less. Very pretty city with lots to see (spectacular cathedral and squares, castle, monasteries, riverside walks etc.) in the walkable central area, and lots of restaurants and hotels.

If you wanted to go on a bit further, up the N627 (a very direct and quick road) Aguilar de Campoo is another beautiful riverside town, also with a castle, riverside walks, a monastery, a lovely central plaza and a large reservoir, always overlooked in my opinion, which is another hours drive on from Burgos on the way to Potes. There are various hotels and posadas (rural B&B's) in and around Aguilar, see www.aguilardecampoo.com/index.php…

Around Aguilar there are also several old buildlings which are now beautiful hotels, have a look at:

Convento de Santa Maria de Mave, literally just off the motorway just south of Aguilar, check out: www.elconventodemave.com, beautiful hotel and restaurant with lovely gardens for residents.

Santa Maria La Real La Posada, on the west side of Aguilar, within walking distance of the centre, part of the monastery, check out: alojamientosconhistoria.com/posada/posada.htm

Santa Maria La Real El Molino, run by the same organisation as the previous place, this is in Salinas de Pisuerga, a town just west of Aguilar (still en route to Potes), and is an old mill, check out: alojamientosconhistoria.com/posada/posada.htm

Casa Viarce, a rural hotel run by the owners of two wonderful shops in Aguilar, this has no website, but details can be found at: http://www.lorural.es/burgos/casaviarce/, in a village on the N627 (Burgos-Aguilar road) just before Aguilar called Fuencaliente de Lucio.

From Aguilar it's about an hour and a half to Potes, over the Puerto (mountain pass) de Piedrasluengas with beautiful views, into Cantabria.

If you want any further info on Aguilar or Potes itself, let me know!

Edited: 02 May 2011, 19:36
Columbus, OH
Level Contributor
547 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive time/best place to spend night

Thank you so very much. This really helps with my research!!

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
2,517 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive time/best place to spend night

RatonCantabria, we are planning to do basically the same thing as the person who posted the initial question, only we were thinking of going from the airport to Segovia for a night, and then going on to Oviedo or another town in northern Spain. That way maybe we'd be able to take a little nap and head out in the afternoon/evening to see a bit of Segovia. Any thoughts on this idea?

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive time/best place to spend night

I'm not familiar with that route up I'm afraid, I knew about the other because I have done it several times, but I'm afraid I've never gone across to Asturias from that angle! Seeing Segovia definitely sounds good though, lovely city! Sorry I can't be of more help!

Reply to: Drive time/best place to spend night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted