We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Potes from Madrid the easiest way by bus

Brno
6 posts
Save Topic
How to get to Potes from Madrid the easiest way by bus

Hi, we would like to visit Picos de Europa and we chose Potes as a place where to stay. However, without car it seems to be extremely difficult to get there. I have found out that, for example from Leon we have to go to Santander and then to Potes finally. Is there anyone who could give me a piece of advice?

Kveta

Czech republic

Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,897 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Potes from Madrid the easiest way by bus

The only way to get to Potes by public transport is indeed by bus from Santander. There are only a couple of buses a day, and they take around 2hours 15mins. For information check out: www.transportedecantabria.es You cannot buy tickets over the internet for these buses, they should be bought on the bus or at Santander (or Torrelavega - both the Leon and Potes bus stop at the bus station here before Santander)) bus station. The bus will take you to the town centre of Potes, but if you wish to get out and about in Potes, it is also much easier by car. To get to the cable car at Fuente De, for example, you will have to take a taxi, unless you are going in summer, when there are a couple of buses a day which continue up to Fuente De, check out: liebanaypicosdeeuropa.com/varios/autobuses.h…

As for Leon to Santander, there is only one bus a day, and you can buy tickets online for this at www.alsa.es

However, if you're coming from Madrid and not Leon (it's not very clear from your post), then there is also a train with www.renfe.es from Madrid to Santander (the train station is opposite the bus station in Santander, but NOT close in Torrelavega), which is quicker than the buses (again, see www.alsa.es).

I guess that's probably not what you were hoping to hear! But that is the result of Potes being a mountain town, even if it is very touristy, there is no regular public transport over the mountain passes to the south of Potes (a lot of these are closed by snow for periods during the winter, and are very narrow and windy in places).

Brno
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Potes from Madrid the easiest way by bus

Hi, thanks for the reply. We are going to visit in June, so it should be OK. to get to Fuente Dé or to Puerta Gloria by taxi. I was thinking that it would be probably easier to fly to Santander than to Madrid. I have to check out the possibilities as well as the train connection from Madrid to Santander. Thanks again anyway.

3. Re: How to get to Potes from Madrid the easiest way by bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 15:15