We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

staying near potes

Which Potes hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hawarden, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
staying near potes

We are staying just outside Potes this summer. I have not been to Cantabria for 20 years and the rest of my family never have so we are looking forward to it. In terms of buying food etc during our stay (we are in a self-catering villa) which is the nearest big town? Looking at the map it looks like Unquera? Is that about 30 minutes away? How long does anyone think it would take us to drive to Leon which I rather want to visit. Many thanks if anyone has answers!

3 replies to this topic
Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
1,674 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: staying near potes

Potes has everything you'll need, the same as what you'll find in Unquera. There are 4 or 5 supermarkets in Potes, including a huge relatively new Lupa supermarket on the road into the centre which is open I think 9 til 9 or something similar. It's big and will have everything you want, good meat and cheese counters etc.. Unquera also has a large Lupa at the entrance to the town just off the motorway. If you want something bigger than that, you'll need to go to Carrefour in Torrelavega. Unquera is about 40 minutes from Potes, depending on summer traffice in the Hermida gorge. Leon is about 2 and a half hours from Potes.

London, England
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: staying near potes

We're going back to the Hotel del Oso, in Cosgaya (half-way between Potes and the cable car station at Fuente De at the top of the valley to the west) next week for the Nth time and I agree- Potes is a substantial and attractive market town, with everything you'll want. Absolutely no need to drive the 30-40 minutes back down the beautiful but twisty Hermida Gorge to Unquera which, in any case is less scenic and interesting than Potes.

Do drive up the 15-20kms valley to the cable car- and unless vertigo's a problem - get there early enough to beat the coach parties and take a trip up a 3000 foot rock wall - you even get a discount on the few euro fare if you've travelled Brittant Ferries. Then walk an hour or more on easy tracks and the experience the feel of real mountain walking- in gentle high valleys with stunning peaks above. (This is the first section of 'Walk 1' on our hotel's website at http://www.hoteldeloso.com/ but there are other softer strolls listed there too).

There are lots of good restaurants in Potes and on the way up to Fuente De too- we love our hotel's food; so generous that we often order one meal between two, but we also also particularly like 'El Balcon' restaurant in (or rather, on the slope above) Potes and a restaurant on the right in the centre of the little hamlet of Espinama, half way - 10km or so - up towards Fuente De.

www.viamichelin.com will give you route ideas and driving times for the Leon trip; add a bit to their 3-hour estimate as this assumes fast, stop-free travel. And take the more direct and scenic, albeit more mountainous N621 of the 3 route options they suggest.

Hawarden, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: staying near potes

Thank you very much! That's really helpful and I'm sure we'll have a good trip.

Reply to: staying near potes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted