We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ceramics

Hammond, Indiana
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Topic
ceramics

Hello, We will be driving past Caltagirone on hwy.124 after a visit to villa romana del casale and on our way to Syracuse. We are taking this route because I think? it may be a beautiful drive and because I'd like to make a quick stop at a ceramics outlet or warehouse. Is there an outlet/warehouse along that route or is there one that would be quick and easy to get to from that route? We will not have a lot of time but I wanted to have a brief look for ceramics souvenirs. Any help would be great. Thank you, Velda

6 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,860 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ceramics

There are many ceramics shops in Caltagirone.

The SS124 is a beautiful drive, but not fast, and so if you don't have a lot of time, perhaps reconsider this route.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187886-i343-k5910…

Vagabonda

Hammond, Indiana
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: ceramics

Dear Vagabonda, Thank you for your reply. The thread you included makes me even more sure that I want to make the drive along 124. We will ultimately be headed for our hotel just outside Syracuse and we do not have to arrive early - just in time for dinner. We will start the day in question in Agrigento after having spent the night there. We will drive first to the Villa Romana del Casale to tour that. Then start the drive down to Caltagirone along 124 into Syracuse. I was really hoping for a ceramics place right along the route that would allow us to pull over have a quick shop and then continue our drive South. I really do not want to have to go into the town of Caltagirone as I do think that would take too much time. If you know of any shops along that route, it would be great. Thank you, Velda

Mentioned in this post
Syracuse
Syracuse
Sicily, Italy
Agrigento
Agrigento
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,860 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ceramics

Hi Velda,

Unfortunately the ceramics shops are located in Caltagirone.

The 124 is very slow driving. There's early darkness in winter, and you wouldn't want to be driving the Monti Iblei in the dark, so be sure to carry a detailed map in addition to GPS. These roads could be windy as well.

Also note that there's no left luggage storage in Piazza Armerina or Caltagirone, and it's always a risk to leave luggage unattended in a car.

Ciao -

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Piazza Armerina
Piazza Armerina
595 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Hammond, Indiana
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: ceramics

Dear Vagabonda,

Thank you VERY much for pointing out the unattended luggage problem. It had not crossed my mind to be concerned about leaving it in the car while we tour the Villa Romana. We may have to make a day trip from our base in Syracuse or, as my husband just suggested, we could take turns touring the site while the other one sits in the car. Not ideal but it would save having to drive back on another day.

In addition, we will adjust our route plans if we are in danger of traveling 124 after dark. We can also consider 124 and Caltagirone as a daytrip/drive from our base in Syracuse if it does not work as part of the drive from Agrigento to Syracuse.

I suppose we should reconsider any stops we make on the days we are driving from one base to the next with luggage in the car. For instance, I had thought we would stop for lunch and a bit of a walk around in Cefalu on the day we are traveling from Scilla to our home base in the Trapani region. Maybe not such a good idea as the luggage would be left in the car.

Thank you for bringing all of this to my attention. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Velda

Mentioned in this post
Syracuse
Syracuse
Sicily, Italy
Agrigento
Agrigento
Sicily, Italy
Cefalu
Cefalu
Sicily, Italy
Trapani
Trapani
Sicily, Italy
Jackson, Mississippi
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ceramics

Dear Vagabonda,

I just returned from my first trip to Sicily. I must return. While in Sicily I saw beautiful white planter similar to testi di Moro ,but modern. Slightly abstract sometimes. I just assumed I could find them online at home. Do you know where I can purchase these gorgeous works of art?

Thanks, Sher

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
107,860 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ceramics

Salve Sherry G!

Perhaps this thread would be helpful!

privet tourist van:

tripadvisor.com/…45585909