We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saint Valery Sur Somme

Which Saint-Valery-sur-Somme hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
wales
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Saint Valery Sur Somme

Hi

We're off to St Valery in two weeks time and are staying in a self catering apartment overlooking the Baie. It is situated quite near the large carpark where they hold the weekly markets I think and is called 'Quai Peree'...has anyone stayed there or does anyone know the place? I was also wondering what car parking is like, we were told by the owners that it would be ok to park in the pay and display car park opposite without paying as traffic wardens tend to leave tourists cars alone!!!

Many Thanks

Poppycat

8 replies to this topic
Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saint Valery Sur Somme

I've been to St Valery and the area a few times. Quai Parree looks over a car park (on a lower level) to the quayside, river, and the bay beyond. You are just at the end of the main shopping street and 500m from the car park used for the market. Besides these car parks there is parking on the quayside along to the steam railway station car park. I think it is all pay and display during the day, but evening / night / lunchtime is free, and I've not had a real problem finding somewhere to park (except for the Festival in early June when the whole town was actually closed to all vehicles). I've not been in peak season weeks like you, but I would be amazed if it wasn't very busy at that time, so daytime parking could be an issue.

Can't advise on not paying the parking fee as I've always paid. Only you can decide if it is worth the risk.

Very nice town in a nice area, enjoy your hol

Edited: 27 July 2010, 17:36
Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saint Valery Sur Somme

Whoops, typo - it's Quai Perree !

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saint Valery Sur Somme

St Valery is certainly a lovely and historic town, as you may kn ow it was the port from which William left for England in 1066. While there take a trip on the heritage railway across the Baie.

wales
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Saint Valery Sur Somme

Hi

Thanks for the info, very helpful. Hoping the house is a nice one, was booked last minute so not many properties available this time of year. I know the market in Saint Valery is meant to be a good one..and at least we will be within walking distance of it!!

Poppycat x

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saint Valery Sur Somme

Hi Poppycat,

I was just wondering if you could give us any feedback on the Quai Peree apartment, as I am planning a trip to St Valery in May ?. I am bit confused as the Quai Peree seems to be advertised as a Townhouse (ground and 1st floors) and an apartment (1st and 2nd floors) ????. We will be 4 adults - would you recommend ?

Many thanks

Pete

London, England
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saint Valery Sur Somme

My partner and I will be in the area on 06 April for 4 days and are interested in the train ytrip. I have looked it up on the internet, but not really getting clear information.

Can anyone tell me if it is operating at this time of year and exactly where it departs from.

Thank you

Bradford, Yorkshire
Level Contributor
575 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saint Valery Sur Somme

The web site does not have this years timetable yet.

I have been to St Valery at the beginning of April and the trains had just started to run, which fits with the last timetable. From last years info looks like the first weekend in April is the start.

Route is St Valery - Noyelles - Le Crotoy, and the reverse.

At this time of year the seperate section to Cayeux does not operate.

http://www.chemin-fer-baie-somme.asso.fr/

Edited: 29 March 2011, 23:34
London, England
Level Contributor
7,774 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saint Valery Sur Somme

Thank you for the information.

Reply to: Saint Valery Sur Somme
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saint-Valery-sur-Somme