We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday lunch suggestions please ...

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
559 posts
159 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday lunch suggestions please ...

We are going to meet family 'half way' for a sunday lunch THIS WEEKEND and catch up and Beaconsfield/Chalfont seem to hit the spot on the map.

We're looking for a tasty sunday lunch, not posh but not a Toby, if you know what I mean! And we'd also like to get out for a stroll afterwards if there's anywhere near before heading home again.

I'd really welcome any suggestions ASAP as I'm sure we'll have to book if it's popular and there'll be eight of us, so I need to get a wiggle on.

Many thanks, Sarah

4 replies to this topic
Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday lunch suggestions please ...

Hi there.....me & my family have had Sunday lunches a few times at either The Royal Saracens Head or The White Hart pubs in Beaconsfield & found them both nice.Both pubs are very old & hav alot of character & are more or less opp each other across the road.The RSH is slightly dearer than the WH and both pubs take bookings on line which I wud advise as they both get fairly busy on Sun lunch times & especially if there's going to be 8 of u.

If u look up [www.vintageinns.co.uk],that'll tell u about The White Hart & if u sign up to 'become a friend' u'll receive a 20% discount voucher on ur meal for the whole table.We were in there 4 dinner last on Aug bank hol & had a luvly meal.Google the RSH pub & u'll see all the info 4 that pub aswell.

Another place we visit which is only a short drive from the Beaconsfield area is The Royal Oak Pub (chef & brewer owned).They've got a website also.Do a cracking sunday lunch & its huge.Can book on line aswell at this pub.It's one of r favs to visit.

Hope this helps abit & wherever u decide to go,enjoy ur Sunday.BTW,lots of countryside to walk around this area.......

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
559 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday lunch suggestions please ...

That's so helpful. Sounds easy saying "we'll meet in the middle" but where to start and the last thing you want is queueing at an over-crowded chain place on Sunday lunch after driving round ages. Thank goodness for TA!

Reckon the White Hart might be a go and I'll sign up now. It sounds as if your local Chef and Brewer is a heck of a lot better than the one at the end of a road (bad review sadly!)

Thanks again, Sarah

Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday lunch suggestions please ...

No probs Sarah......u'd think with a chain like Chef & Brewer they'd all be the same,but sadly there not.We've got 3 C & B pubs local to us & they all cudn't be more different.One is always sooo busy & hard to get a table,the other we found the food not so good,so we stick to the Royal Oak (hav to say service can be abit slow sumtimes).

I've read sum of the TA reviews on the WH & sum aren't g8t,but I can honestly say we've never had a bad meal there,found the prices reasonable (especially with the 20% off lol!!!) & last time we where there,we had the most luvliest waitress,but suppose like anywhere they hav their off days.

I do hope u do like it if u go there.Giving recommendations on TA is hard sumtimes cos what 1 person likes & raves about,another mite not if they visit there.I tend 2 not believe everything thou on the reviews cos I'd rather visit & see 4 myself & TBH I'm sure sum peeps r just professional moaners & will moan about anything,but do agree bad slow service & awful food isn't acceptable anywhere whether it be a Harvester or a top end restaurant.

Anyway,hav a g8t time with ur family & enjoy ur meet up.....

Edited: 17 September 2013, 16:33
Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
559 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday lunch suggestions please ...

Turns out my rellies are on the ball too and have booked The Inn at Emmington at Sydenham nr Chinnor so a shorter drive for us - hurray. But I'll keep these on file for the future when it's our turn to sort it.

Know what you mean about reviews. I always check to see which nationality is complaining i.e. no air con or lift in Bath is usually from the US despite the fact their either in a listed building. I like to put on good reviews and they have to be v bad for me to report it. I've only ever written two really bad hotel reviews (Oz and The Keys) funnily and both times they shouldn't have been let in that state and we got a full refund after being contacted by the owners! The shame is that TA doesn't let you put a PS at the bottom to update the review which isn't very fair.

Thanks again

Reply to: Sunday lunch suggestions please ...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chalfont St. Giles