We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backwater cruise.

Wilmslow
Level Contributor
22 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Backwater cruise.

Am going to Kollam n Febuary, and am staying on Ashtamundi Lake. Have located a boat company that will do me a days boat tip, but want to get into the back waters and small canals. Can this be achieved from Kollam ? or will it just be a lake trip.

If so am I better trying to get to Alleppey ??

Would appreciate the help of anyone who knows the area.

Mentioned in this post
Kollam
Kollam
Kollam District, India
Kerala
Level Contributor
261 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Backwater cruise.

give this a try www.vihaarahouseboats.com

Alappuzha, India
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Backwater cruise.

Alleppey / Thottappally areas are better. Kollam backwaters are rough enough to be appealing for some body who like boat trips. But, not the typical narrow canals,

Suresh P R

Mentioned in this post
Kollam
Kollam
Kollam District, India
Kerala
Level Contributor
261 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Backwater cruise.

Dear Scott,

Kollam and aleppey are equally beautiful with scenic backwaters. The only difference i see (as a local) is that aleppey is actually crowded with traffic and i hear that many of them do no do canal tours which are the highlight of any backwater cruise trip. You can specify to the company you deal with that you need a 'canoe ride' in the evening through small canals.

Dear Suresh,

I dint quite understand that how could two water bodies interconnected (kollam and aleppey) would be different? one rough and one calm???

Mentioned in this post
Kollam
Kollam
Kollam District, India
Alappuzha, India
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Backwater cruise.

Just make a trip to Ashtamudi lake between Alumkadave and Kollam. You can see it yourself. Regards. Suresh

Edited: 26 December 2012, 10:47
Mentioned in this post
Ashtamudi Villas
Ashtamudi Villas
386 Reviews
Kollam, India
Kollam
Kollam
Kollam District, India
Kerala
Level Contributor
261 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Backwater cruise.

Been there many times....but dint find anything unusual :) But you may be right in rainy and windy conditions as elsewhere

anyway, thanks for the info

Alappuzha, India
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Backwater cruise.

Most of the afternoons, some part of the Ashtamudi lake, which are closer to the sea (not at the openings) are rough. The waves could be high enough to keep the propeller out of water. I do not mind rough waters. I always liked it. But, for a houseboat cruise, it is not like crusing in Alleppey canals.

Regards

Suresh

Mentioned in this post
Ashtamudi Villas
Ashtamudi Villas
386 Reviews
Kollam, India
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Backwater cruise.

HI,

If you want to see the narrow canal please don't choose houseboat . Choose houseboat if need more relax , reading , spend a nice time .. Houseboat can't go to narrow canals .

I think you can travel kollam to alleppey by government motor boat and take backwater cruise in alleppey . But no houseboats

thanks,

Binu Joseph

Alappuzha, India
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Backwater cruise.

Binu,

Unfortunately, your posts does not reflect truth. But protect your business interests.

Suresh P R

Kerala
Level Contributor
261 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Backwater cruise.

Dear Binu,

This forums is being watched by a lot of guests who are about to visit sooner or later, so let us avoid blunt statements like the mentioned ones.

infact both houseboat ride and small canoe ride could go hand in hand as part of one tour itself.

Alappuzha, India
Level Contributor
1,918 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Backwater cruise.

True,

And a moderate, comfortably big houseboat goes to most of these interesting canals in Alleppey.

Suresh P R