We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestion for lunch stop in Karatu?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,501 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestion for lunch stop in Karatu?

I expect I will have my fill of box lunches so am looking to stop for lunch in Karatu Day 1 enroute to Ndutu from Arusha. We may arrive before noon, but don't think there is much west of there. What are my options and any recommendations (other than bananas, bananas, and more red bananas)? Thanks.

49 replies to this topic
Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestion for lunch stop in Karatu?

There are plenty of lodges with restaurants, and here are local restaurants there.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,403 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestion for lunch stop in Karatu?

I agree with Karl there are pelnty of local restaurants with local fare. You could of course try Bougainville Lodge on the road almost.

Edited: 27 March 2012, 04:35
Lancaster
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestion for lunch stop in Karatu?

We"re due to stay at The Manor in Oct. it"s had excellent reviews for food and you could walk off your lunch with a tour round the coffee plantation afterwards!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,489 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestion for lunch stop in Karatu?

Wild card.

Push on to the Crater rim and lunch at the wildlife Lodge.

Great view!

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,403 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestion for lunch stop in Karatu?

The Manor sounds great and is I know it well But why stay on a farm miles from the Crater Rim unless you really want a farm stay.

Ngorongoro Crater should be seen through the early morning mist and have breakfast while the clouds are clearing-with buffaloes walking around your rooms at night (maybe). It is one of the great wonders of the World do it justice and stay on the Rim lunch at the wildlife lodge sounds great to me as well.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,501 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestion for lunch stop in Karatu?

Thanks for the suggestions. It's just me and the driver, so I was thinking more a local spot for lunch - as don''t want to dilly dally or deal with the "driver can't eat with you", but a good view of the Crater might be the closest I get to it this trip - so a consideration.

Would service at the lodges be faster than the local -unless we take what's on the stove?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestion for lunch stop in Karatu?

Probably leftovers from the box lunches would e available. It seems to me that at the Wildlife Lodge they put the fixins for the box lunches out in the morning on the bar, and you make up your own. At least they once did that. It's been several years since I last stayed at the Wildlife, so that might not be the case now.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,501 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestion for lunch stop in Karatu?

Oh Karl, that's a grim picture - but may be realistic. Reviews hold few recommendations for the food - or service. Too bad, as it has Dale Chihuly glasswork as well as a stunning view.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestion for lunch stop in Karatu?

I have a tradition at the Wildlife; I always go out on the patio and toast the Crater when I arrive, and when I leave telling her that I'll be back.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,501 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestion for lunch stop in Karatu?

Nice, Karl. I wish I was as enamoured. I think it was mostly timing, but didn't get the same wow factor expected. She's certainly lovely from afar. One day I'll give her another chance.

Reply to: Suggestion for lunch stop in Karatu?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Karatu
More Karatu Topics