We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ponce or Boqueron

Moses Lake...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ponce or Boqueron

Taking a group of 10-12 high school students. After couple days in Old San Juan, going to head South. Have been to Ponce before, but can't recall Boqueron specifically, though been to lighthouse etc. Wondering if Boqueron has enough 'down time' stuff - just walking around, restaurants, shops etc. to keep kids busy for a couple hours in evening etc. We're prepared to drive places during day regardless, but hoping to find more than just a hotel pool when we're not out and about. I know Ponce has this. If in Ponce, we'll probably stay at Holiday Inn, if Boqueron, the Aquarius (or maybe in between at Mary Lee's in Guanica)- Thanks!

15 replies to this topic
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ponce or Boqueron

I would do the Ponce Hilton. Call Günter Mainka the Hilton's GM, who knows you might get a good rate.

There are a few things to do in Boqueron but I think too little for high school kids.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ponce or Boqueron

My family just stayed at Aquarius and it worked out great for their family of 6 94 teens).

The beach was nice and resort had the pools and a fitness club and stuff. The teens all liked it and kept busy.

They also loved Boqueron as a town (which really surprised us as we have never really spent time there). They thought the town was really nice and felt very safe there, lots of little places to see/walk around.

I think it is better than Ponce at night, which I find just closes up at 5pm.

Skip Mary Lee's- Guanica is a REALLY sleepy town and the place is in the boonies.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ponce or Boqueron

I agree that Ponce may be what you're looking for. There's nothing within walking distance to/from the Hilton, but within a short drive: La Guancha, the mall, the movie theater, Chili's, Romano's Macaroni Grill, fast foods, and downtown.

PS: Be careful driving around Ponce, specially at night: DO NOT leave ANYTHING on the seats to avoid break-ins -which are VERY common in Ponce-, lock your doors, keep your windows up, and always stay away from the projects and shady/dark/isolated areas.

Edited: 04 September 2012, 15:50
San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ponce or Boqueron

I agree with Flowerfarm. Although Ponce may have a "city life", the ambiance in Boqueron is more "coastal & relaxed" and perhaps more attractive to youths. The Boqueron area is smaller and you will have better control of the kids, too.

There are plenty of small restaurants and little stores.

B-More
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ponce or Boqueron

My wife an I will be in Puerto Rico for a month or so from mid-December through mid-later January with our then 7 month old daughter. We would like to arrange for my mother to join us for 5-7 nights in Boqueron. Can anyone recommend a guest house or apartment that might be available where we could prepare some of our meals? We prefer smaller, locally owned lodging over hotels and resorts.

King of Prussia...
Destination Expert
for San Juan, Ponce
Level Contributor
8,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ponce or Boqueron

JSpur, if you haven't done so already, I recommend that you post your question on on its own, preferably on the Cabo Rojo forum. You'll most likely get more responses that way.

B-More
Level Contributor
306 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ponce or Boqueron

Thanks for the suggestion.

NH
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ponce or Boqueron

Hi, my husband and I have rented a little house from this woman we met when we were in Mayaguez 4 years ago. Her house is in El Combate, next town over from Boqueron and we have rented from her for 5 weeks in the winter since. She use to live in San Juan for her job but is now back in the states and we are renting again this winter from February 21st to March 26th. The house has 3 bedrooms and 1 bath and is in a great neighborhood. We are friends with the neighbors and exchange emails. It is very beautiful there. She does not advertise and only rents through word of mouth. We love it so much that we are flying our son, daughter in-law, 2 grandaughters (5 and 1) to spend a week with us. (Shhhh, Christmas present) We have told friends that have also rented the house and loved it. The price is very reasonable! The beach in El Combate is awesome but let me tell you about Sosua Beach by the Light House, AMAZING! It has been described as " why go to Hawaii when you have Sosua Beach" As you can see we LOVE Puerto Rico! We have traveled everywhere and have fallen in love with PR, cheap flights, great people, very safe, etc... I would be more than happy to give you her info if you would like (since you won't be going on our dates! Take care. DodoNh.

Redding, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ponce or Boqueron

We will be staying in a condo in December in Boqueron Bay, can you recommend anything for us? We love to eat and snorkel!

Redding, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ponce or Boqueron

Thanks for any help or suggestions for us staying at Boqueron Bay in December!

Reply to: Ponce or Boqueron
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Boqueron