We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OMG last review on GPLH ' bed bugs'

glasgow
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
OMG last review on GPLH ' bed bugs'

I am so shocked to read someone recently had bed bugs this has really made me want to change my hotels. I go on holidays to make my own mind up about the trip and never really bother with reviews but this has troubled me. has anyone else had this here?

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: OMG last review on GPLH ' bed bugs'

I would tend to question if they are 100% *SURE* that it WAS bedbugs.

Many many people make the mistake of thinking they have bedbugs, when it is in fact, sand fleas that have bitten them the evening before. sandflea bites typically are not noticed when they happen, but are felt when the person wakes up the next morning. So, because the bites typically don't show up til next day, and because most people are not familiar with sand fleas, they 'assume' - mostly incorrectly - that it was bedbugs.

i tend not to trust reviews that call "bedbugs', cause there have been no reports of them in Jamaica.

not to say it isn't *possible* -- but it is very unlikely. Before I categorically believe the review I would have to know more about the person writing it - how familiar they are with jamaica, how expereinced they are with different types of insects, etc, before I would believe that they are certain of what they've written.

Edited: 17 April 2012, 19:58
glasgow
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OMG last review on GPLH ' bed bugs'

thanks for your reply much appreciated and has put my mind at ease

thank you

dee:)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: OMG last review on GPLH ' bed bugs'

I am "100% *SURE*" that I agree with nevsgal.

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
1,857 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: OMG last review on GPLH ' bed bugs'

LOL blue water.... and no problem Dee. this is actually a pretty common question and *very* common mistake that people make.

for your own knowledge - the sand fleas are tiny, you really can't see them - and they are most prevalent around sunset. If mosquitoes "like" you, they will too. So, if you're on the beach in the late afternoon/early evening, you might want to spray your ankles and legs with bug repellant.

and if you by some chance wake up with any itchy bites, don't panic - ask a hotel employee to take a look, they will be able to tell you right away if it's regular old mosquito bites, or sandflea bites - those are the most likely thing they would be.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
19,511 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OMG last review on GPLH ' bed bugs'

It probably doesn't help when some guest come up to their rooms after a day on the beach, and have a nap on the bed without showering first. If they are bitten by sand fleas they then assume that the bites were from bed bugs.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: OMG last review on GPLH ' bed bugs'

They don't even have rabies in Jamaica let alone bed bugs in the hotels!

People sometimes get a 6 and think it's a 9...Lol!!!!

Probably that person is having a belated all fools day!

Edited: 18 April 2012, 18:00
nova scotia
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OMG last review on GPLH ' bed bugs'

To allay any concerns, always do a bed check... tear back the covers, inspect sheets and under them.. here a link with some great info:

…about.com/od/insectssociety/a/avoid-bed-bug…

I also ensure I spray the room for mosquitos and other 'bugs', particulary around door, patio door, windows, etc.

glasgow
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OMG last review on GPLH ' bed bugs'

thanks everyone for your replies means alot and my mind is at rest. we have sand flies in dom rep lucky me they didnt like me so fingers crossed xx

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OMG last review on GPLH ' bed bugs'

You are more likely to be bitten by bed bugs in North America then just about anywhere else. The rules have changed so much from what we can use in the hotel industry as far as pest control it is not even funny. I have been in this business for over 20 years and never saw a bed bug up until about 6 years ago. Sand fleas are quite common in the carribean so I would bet dollar to donughts that is what has bitten you. For your own piece of mind, after having training after training to look for bed bugs, which only go on/in the bed to feed. I check picture frames, behind headboards and the Bibles and phone books in rooms. Those are their hiding places of choice!

United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: OMG last review on GPLH ' bed bugs'

@pack_up I have what is probably a dumb question, but if someone is in a room with bed bugs, and then goes and sits in the lobby, do the bed bugs spread to the lobby? Maybe not a physical bug, but their eggs? I am not trying to worry anyone, but am trying to put my own mind at ease. Sometimes if you try to get more knowledge online about something, you end up more worried than you were in the first place! :)