We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rainy season to visit Amazon?

Houston
Level Contributor
14 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
rainy season to visit Amazon?

We plan to visit Brazil in 2013 and would like to include the Amazon river cruise either with Amazon Clipper (smaller boat for ~ 10 people) or Iberto Star Grand Amazon (largr boat ~ 150 people). We have decided when we will go before figuring out the answer of the following question.

We like to see more native animal and scenery. Does it make a difference which boat to take or which season (rainy or dry) to visit - Iberto in rainy season or dry season, or Clipper in rainy season or dry season?

We'd appreciate your repsonse. Thanks.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rainy season to visit Amazon?

The Amazon is not usually known as a place to see wildlife. Good scenery, unusual vegetation, and some wildlife (e.g., jacare), but the place for wildlife viewing in Brazil is usually known to be the Pantanal. There are plusses and minuses to going to either in the rainy season (I don't like it due to heat and thundrstorms, but many don't seem to mind it). When you say "rainy season," exactly when do you mean? Carnaval? If so, you'll need to make reservaitons real early. Be sure to take anti-malarial prophylaxis, at least for the Amazon (I'm less familiar with the Pantanal).

Edited: 16 July 2012, 20:32
2. Re: rainy season to visit Amazon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2016, 17:15
Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
219 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rainy season to visit Amazon?

ukokyahoo,

If you want an authentic experience we would suggest you avoid the Iberostar. It is massive, not designed for the expedition experience you are looking for, and they have generic itineraries.

The clipper is an ok option from Manaus, but you should consider a longer cruise for the best experience. Around the Rio Negro there are opportunities to see some of the iconic animals the jungle is famous for, such as river dolphin, birds, caiman, river otters, etc. Bear in mind in the Central Amazon you have great diversity of flora and fauna, but not great density. What you will definitely see are incredible natural environments, waterfalls, etc. We generally feel that the best time to cruise is at the late end of the rains, which means April - July. This is when water levels are high, and many trees are in bloom - so better possibilities to see animals feeding in the treetops.

I would suggest a longer itinerary aboard a boat such as Jacare-Asu. Go further up the Rio Negro to see more of the Amazon in its natural state, and include visits to some of the parks included withing the Amazon Ecological Corridor. We have had great feedback from customers who have followed those suggestions.

Rainforest Cruises

Houston
Level Contributor
14 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rainy season to visit Amazon?

Thank you very much all for the information. I definitely will take your suggestion and incorperate into my travel plan. Now I think I will visit in May or early June and take a smaller boat. Appreciated all your help.

5. Re: rainy season to visit Amazon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2013, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Amazon River