We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giordino Tours or All Ways for Colca

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
30 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Giordino Tours or All Ways for Colca

Is there any real difference between these? Is it best to stay in the hotel the tour recommends or is it OK to stay at another? We want to stay an extra day in Chivay to rest from the early morning wake up on the 2nd day & want to take the bus from Chivay to Puno rather than going back to Arequipa to take the bus to Puno. Any opinion?

Chiclayo, Peru
Level Contributor
805 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Giordino Tours or All Ways for Colca

I'm not familiar with those companies but your plan is good. There are plenty of good hotels in Chivay for all budgets.

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Giordino Tours or All Ways for Colca

You can DIY lots cheaper than tours but

All Ways www.titicacaperu.com best

Probably would just book www.casa-andina.com

very nice there arrange xport as I like

www.4m-express.com or private taxi guide

usually works out cheaper with 2 or more

if negocios go well...

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Giordino Tours or All Ways for Colca

We are looking at doing the tour with Pablo Tour as you stay in Cabanaconde so you don't have such an early start on the second day as you are closer to the Condors. The tour crosses the river on the second day to the right bank and you get to see villages which don't see so many tourists. I have not found reviews people who have done this actual tour so would love to hear from someone who has.

I have read lots about Giordino Tours and we may still do the tour with them if the Pablo Tour breaks our budget.

We were looking at taking the 4M - Express but the taxi is an interesting option. Can the private taxi guide be organised before we get there? How would we know we would get a good driver as I understand the roads are not brilliant.

I have also read a lot of good reports about All Ways tours on Titicaca.

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Giordino Tours or All Ways for Colca

We just got the price of the tour from Pablo Tours and we won't be using them as it is way outside of our budget!!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,571 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Giordino Tours or All Ways for Colca

All Ways has very good reviews on this forum.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Giordino Tours or All Ways for Colca

You could always arrange the tour when you arrive in Arequipa as well. If its the generic Colca tour then no matter which company you book with you will probably end up on the same bus as everyone else. You could always contact your hotel in Arequipa and ask if they can reccomend a tour company or arrange it for you as well. Here are a few that I looked into when planning my trip....

www.tamboviejo.com

www.southamericareps.com/

www.acuariustravel.com

www.helloarequipa.com/colonial_tours/

www.inkafestravelperu.com

www.casadeavila.com/index-2.html

Chiclayo, Peru
Level Contributor
805 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Giordino Tours or All Ways for Colca

No idea what Pablo Tours costs but I've been on the generic two-day tour a couple of times and paid under S/.100 for a perfectly good experience.

Nelson, New Zealand
Level Contributor
21 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Giordino Tours or All Ways for Colca

Pablo Tours offers a tour which is different to the classic tour run buy Giordino, Colca Trek and other companies. The differences:

On day one:

"Before to get to Cabanaconde town, we can do trekking of 45 minutes in the condor cross, in this trek are two good viewpoints that allow us to see the depth of the canyon and its prolongation. This small trekking is between the cure viewpoint and the Condor cross.

"We do the visit of the Colca Valley in the afternoon ´cause in the morning there are hundreds of tourists. We sleep in the town of Cabanaconde and not in Chivay, because in Cabanaconde there are also good hotels and the village is more typical (fewer tourists). On the second day we don't get up at 4:30 a.m to see the condors, because we go two times to the Cross of the Condor. The first time is in the afternon of the first day of our trip, where, frequently, some condors could be seen. The second time is in the morning of the second day, but we can get up at 7 a.m.and not at 4:30 a.m because the distance of Cabanaconde to "Cross of the Condor" is reached in just 25 minutes."

On day two:

"The right bank of the river Colca .- This part of the Colca Canyon is less visited by tourists and not visited for the classic tours .In this part of the valley there are typical towns of colonial style which are not visited by tourists, these towns are: Lari / Ichupampa / Coporaque. In these towns you can walk and explore through the typical streets and appreciate the quiet life in the Andes."

We like the sound of this tour as it does things slightly differently, unfortunately it can only really be booked as a private tour and at this stage is way over our budget. We will see what we can organise between now and when we get there in September....we may find a way to do this tour or we will just do the "Colca Bus Tour 2 Days 1 Night From Arequipa to Puno" with Colca Tours - as it takes us on to Puno which is out next destination rather than returning to Arequipa.

Chiclayo, Peru
Level Contributor
805 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Giordino Tours or All Ways for Colca

It's not difficult to do all of that on your own also; there are daily buses from Arequipa to Cabanaconde and you can hire a guide once there or just use public transport to get around the canyon.

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
361 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Giordino Tours or All Ways for Colca

I went with Giordino. I really appreciated the international feel and the right mixture of people (we were 9 : 3 peruvians from Lima, 2 Canadians, 2 brezilian, 2 Spanish). The guide was very knowledgeable and did attend to our needs. We stayed 3 days, others stayed for more.

The satisfaction on a tour always depends on what you are looking for. I was very happy that I inquired about the driver. He was slower than others that passed us, but I was never scared of falling in a ravine!

I would definitely recommend then!