We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puno-Colca Canyon-Arequipa

Monterey, California
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Puno-Colca Canyon-Arequipa

Want to travel from Puno to Colca; then Colca to Arequipa. Found 4m buses will take us from Puno to Colca... bu t once there, i have not found how to explore the area, witness the flights of the condors. anyone have any ideas? how about getting as far as cabanaconde? we would consider an economical tour from puno to colca then to arequipa if anyone knows of one. thanks!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Puno-Colca Canyon-Arequipa

hello,most buses that leave arrequipa to go to cabanaconde stop at the "mirador" to view the condors( so i assume that the puno bus will first stop in arrequipa...(ask at the bus station!!)....from cabanaconde you can do trek to the base of the canyon(ask the locals for where to start) ,sleep the night there in a hostal,and come back up.(easy down,strenuous up!)...>if you want to explore it more,you will need a tour....you are best to organise a tour from arrequipa,so best get a bus there if you need do this.i hope this helps clarify.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,116 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puno-Colca Canyon-Arequipa

You can book local tours via your hotel upon arrival.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puno-Colca Canyon-Arequipa

There are fairly regualr buses travelling between Colca Canyon and Arequipa and they are pretty cheap too but if I were you I would arrange to meet up with a Colca tour from Arequipa in Chivay and that way you can travel back to Arequipa with the tour after visiting COlca Canyon. You should be able to take care of this in Puno before you leave with help from wherever you are staying or a travel agency.

Monterey, California
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Puno-Colca Canyon-Arequipa

thank you for your input... it just seemed logical and would save time as well as provide an opportunity to explore a different route if we went punco-colca-arequipa. most colca tours originate from arequipa... and i am trying to see if we can't arrange for a group to take us from colca to arequipa.

London
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puno-Colca Canyon-Arequipa

Hi. Did you end up working out a good plan? I am wanting to do the exact same route as you! (ie Puno to Chivay with 4m, then back to Arequipa). I'm wondering where to stay (should I book somewhere in Chivay) and how to join up with a tour. I'm interested to see what you planned in the end.

Coral Gables...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Puno-Colca Canyon-Arequipa

I'm looking to do the same thing in 2 weeks. What did you decide and if you've already gone, how did it turn out?

Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
40 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Puno-Colca Canyon-Arequipa

Sorry, I can't help as when we got there we ended up cutting the trip to Puno so that we could spend more time in the jungle (we were having too much fun there!).

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Puno-Colca Canyon-Arequipa

In mid-May we took 4M from Puno to Chivay, then the local bus to Hotel Kuntur Wassi in Cabanaconde. It's a short way from there to the condor lookout. One morning we hitched a ride to the condor lookout with a tourist group, then took the public bus back to Cabanaconde. The hotel arranged for us to get on a tourist van back to Arequipa.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
586 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puno-Colca Canyon-Arequipa

We did this in reverse in April.

The 4M bus from Puno to Chivay is excellent... Nice bus that runs on schedule, tourist stops, lunch box meal and water included, excellent English speaking guide.

Here are two options for your plan:

Connect with a tour coming from Arequipa in Chivay or at the Coca tea stop on the Arequipa/Chivay road just near the Puno turnoff. Some people did that in the opposite direction the day we did it. 4M and all the Colca tours stop here for about half and hour. I would probably opt to meet in Chivay as its a better place to be stuck if the connection goes wrong.

I wouldn't recommend the Colca Canyon tour company we used (70 pesos) but thought Colonial Tours looked good as they paralleled our tour along the way. They charge 80 pesos for the two day/1 night tour including hotel and breakfast if you book at their office in Arequipa .

Take the public bus from Chivay to Cabanaconde and stay the night.

You may like to spend a day there hiking down the canyon (donkey back up if you don't want to walk) or take some of the different paths to the rim of the canyon from where you can see Sangalle at the bottom and other villages in the canyon.

Catch an early morning bus from Cabanaconde to the condors and a later bus on to Chivay. Luggage won't be a problem as the condors are right at the bus stip. It doesn't work so well to stop at the condors on the way to Cabanaconde as there is no public bus in the direction of Cabanaconde for some hours after the condors. We hitched a ride with a tour group but were charged a fortune compared to the public bus. I think its 14kms from the Condor Pass to Cabanaconde. Nearly all downhill but quite a walk with a pack.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puno-Colca Canyon-Arequipa

We took the tour which will be much simpler.