We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question Colca Canyon Itinerary

Punta Arenas, Chile
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Question Colca Canyon Itinerary

Hi! I travel to Arequipa in July. And I'd like to know if it is better to take a full day tour from Arequipa, or traveling the previous afternoon to Chivay, then sleep there, and take the full day tour from Chivay. Is that possible? This because the two-day tours from Arequipa usually "lose" a lot of time in the hot springs and Chivay, where I'm not interested. But I think that could be more relaxed to travel during the afternoon of the previous day from Arequipa to Chivay avoiding get up at 3:00 a.m. to do the full day tour.

Any recommendation is welcome!

Thanks!

Fabián

Mentioned in this post
Arequipa
Arequipa
Arequipa Region, Peru
Chivay
Chivay
Colca Canyon, Peru
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,311 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question Colca Canyon Itinerary

You can take a public bus to Chivay in the afternoon and sleep there. There is a bus to the condor viewpoint and cabanaconde in the eqrly morning in chivay.

Mentioned in this post
Chivay
Chivay
Colca Canyon, Peru
Punta Arenas, Chile
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question Colca Canyon Itinerary

Pierre W thank you for your help.

Do you know if there are tours from Chivay also visiting other viewpoints and towns of the valley?

Mentioned in this post
Chivay
Chivay
Colca Canyon, Peru
california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question Colca Canyon Itinerary

The overnight tour that I took from Arequipa (Giardino) left in the morning but not 3am. Usually those 3am pickups are for those who want to go out and back in one day.

On the first afternoon you had the option to hike and an option to go to the hot springs.

On the second morning you got up at 5 am to get to the condor point by 9 am after breakfast. Then you stopped at the towns on the way back to Chivay, which was reached in time to take the 4M bus at 1 pm.

Don't forget that Colca Canyon rim is actually higher than Cusco at many points, so a lot of people don't feel too well on arrival day.

I spent another day in Yanque at Killawasi lodge and they also offer a 3 pm hike.

You can take taxis or collectivos between towns. Not sure of tours based in Chivay rather than out of Arequipa or associated with a hotel. I imagine if you contacted the owners of Killawasi lodge they could set something up.

Edited: 10 May 2013, 17:42
Mentioned in this post
Arequipa
Arequipa
Arequipa Region, Peru
Chivay
Chivay
Colca Canyon, Peru
Cusco
Cusco
Cusco Region, Peru
Yanque
Yanque
Colca Canyon, Peru
Killawasi Lodge
Killawasi Lodge
689 Reviews
Yanque, Peru
4. Re: Question Colca Canyon Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2014, 05:16