We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colca Canyon

Paris, France
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Colca Canyon

If one is not going trekking, is it better to stay in chivay and the next day take the tour to Colca, or is it more attractive to stay in Cabanaconde altough we are not trekking?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,290 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colca Canyon

You should choose the place to stay by the hotel you select. Check this forum for recommended hotels in Colca and decide which one.

I personally liked the Casa Andina.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colca Canyon

Thank you for your kind reply. This is exactly what I needed to know because Cabanaconde seems very pretty but as you said we are not trekking so there is not point.

Another question by the same token, the agency is proposing to spend the afternoon in a town called Caporaque to visit some Ruins of Saint Antonio. Thenn to the hot spring waters and then they would drop us off at the Chivay hotel La Posada del Colca. Can you please advise on this? Is the village which they are proposing Caraporaque worthvisiting or do you propose something different. Thanks alot.

cordobesa
Level Contributor
855 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colca Canyon

http://www.killawasilodge.com/eng/

Paris, France
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colca Canyon

thank you for your reply.

Do you think the village of caparoque is worthwhile visiting? Thank you for your reply ASAP i need to book quickly.

Tks.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colca Canyon

I actually stayed with both Giardino (one night) and Killawasi one night in Yanque. Both were fine and had good views.

I think Yanque is slightly more interesting than Corporaque/ The latter is on the far side of the valley from Chivay. Both are small towns so expect to dine at the hotel restaurants for dinner, although you can take a taxi from Yanque to Chivay pretty easily. Both hotel restaurants have good reputations.Killawasi's menu has more variety but you have to order when you arrive (I think they will need to shop for your requests!)

I liked the walk to the San Antonio ruins, it was definitely easier than the walk to Uyu Uyu. I really liked my tour guide from Giardino and didn't regret using them.

You will get to see Chivay and several small villages such as Maca and Yanque on the way back from the condors viewing.

Edited: 15 May 2013, 15:17
Paris, France
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colca Canyon

Thank you so much.

So if I were to finalize my trip I would then arrive in Chivay around noon. Take the tour from Giardano and go with them to Caporaque and do the tour to the ruins, then the hot water and then stay at the hotel in Chivay.

next morning they would come to pick me up in Chivay and go to the Colca and then onwards to the villages and then to arequipa.

Do you think this sound ok?

Since the ruins are in Caporaque I would definititely have to go there with the tour coming from Arequipa and I would just join them since I would be arriving from Puno.

Punta Arenas, Chile
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Colca Canyon

Hi Lilian. I've been finding out to do something similar. My idea is to go to Chivay from Arequipa in the afternoon by bus, and then take the day tour through the villages and viewpoints of the southern bank of the Colca Valley (Maca, Yanque Choquetico Antahuilque) and the Condor Cross Viewpoint in the Colca Canyon, in order to avoid having to leave at 03:00 am from Arequipa, something very uncomfortable because of fatigue and height. But beware Lilian. The Colca Canyon actually starts at the Condor Cross Viewpoint and continue to Cabanaconde, so if you do not visit that area really will not be in one of the deepest canyons in the world, because Chivay, Yanque and Coporaque are in the Colca Valley, not the Canyon. I think it's a good idea to have an extra day to travel to Cabanaconde and then visit some viewpoints close to that town that don't require great efforts to visit, only very easy trails (Achachihua and San Miguel Viewpoints). Also beware of many of the recommendations of Tripadvisor because sometimes they do not come from tourists, but agencies, making profiles to promote their services (I do not know if that's the case, just be warned). Regards and good luck!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,278 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colca Canyon

You can get off the bus at Yanque and visit the ruins on the other side of the valley by foot from there. It is less than an hour.

United States
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Colca Canyon

Yanque and Coporaque a very nice towns to stay at too!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colca Canyon

Thank you very much for your reply. yes I was wondering that too sometimes you read and you are not so sure. I think I will then stay in Chivay as it is easier than staying in Cabanaconde. I have not found an agency that will pick you up at your hotel and take you to the cruz del condor and then drive you through the small villages and drive you to Arequipa. If anyone can give an advise. Tks