We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colca Photography

Ft Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Colca Photography

We are travelling to Peru in November. One of our visits is to the Colca Canyon, where I would like to photograph the Condor in flight. I would prefer not to take my Canon 100-400 mm lens, as it is very heavy. Would the 70-200 mm lens give me enough reach?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colca Photography

Yes, normally the condors fly very close to you.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Colca Photography

I had a 70-210mm lens and most of the time did not need to use full zoom so you should be fine as long as the condors cooperate and fly close.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,766 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Colca Photography

When we were there, the condors came so close, people were ducking because we thought they were going to fly right into the crowd. They were perching on rocks at most 20 feet away. We used a pocket camera with a 20x digital zoom and got fantastic close up photos.

Mukilteo, Washington
Level Contributor
135 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colca Photography

The others have given you good advice, but i would submit that the whole reason you have that 400mm zoom is for things like condors in Peru. is it really that heavy? I took my 70-300 and the pics I got were fabulous.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
594 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colca Photography

I found that on a high zoom I couldn't actually capture them as pin-pointing them in flight was tough. I would suggest a less powerful lens with your camera set to capture max res photos, then after you can zoom in on your computer.

Ft Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colca Photography

Thank you all for the helpful replies. I will be taking tmy 70-200 L lens.

Willemstad, Curacao
Destination Expert
for Willemstad, Curacao
Level Contributor
1,932 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colca Photography

I used a 70-300mm (with c-size sensor) and got excellent results.. Shoot in the highest resulotion you need to crop some of the images afterwards. I will pm you some links to pics in Picasa webalbum if you click on details you can see the settings they were shoot at. I think I almost never extended to 300mm so 200mm should do

Edited: 10 September 2013, 22:34
tc2
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colca Photography

I took my 24-105mm and it was definitely NOT enough. It was Ok at the longest end when the Condors were sitting on some rocks, or circling close overhead, or wanted to capture the overall scene, but it was frustrating when they were at a distance, and just spots in the frame.

You should be fine with the 70-200mm. I wish I had mine with me, but it is a big lens, and I preferred to take the 10-22mm instead for Machu Picchu. Note that this is not on a full frame sensor. If you have a full frame sensor you would need the 100-400mm lens.

9. Re: Colca Photography

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 05:17