We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How challenging is a trip to Chachapoyas?

Which Chachapoyas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
detroit
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Topic
How challenging is a trip to Chachapoyas?

We want to spend some time in northern Peru. Chachapoyas sounds like a beautiful area with so many sights to see. We are trying to decide the best way to travel north from Cuzco. We will have to travel by bus. Would like to see Ayacucho, Cajamarca and spend a couple ot days by the coast. I've read that buses to Chachapoyas leave from Chiclayo. Has anyone traveled from Chachapoyas to Cajamarca? How safe are the roads? We will have about two weeks after we leave Cuzco.

Olmito, Texas
Level Contributor
144 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How challenging is a trip to Chachapoyas?

Unless you fly you will probably take the bus from Ayacucho to lima and then head north. Here is a detailed route that i did From lime to Truhillo to Chiclayo to Chachapoyas to Yurimaguas to Iquitos and then fly back to lima. There is so much to see in northern peru that i think most people miss just due to the fact that they are not as known as Machu Picchu, Nasca, and Puno.

tripadvisor.com/…27020509

Im pretty sure there are buses from Any main town Lima, Trujillo, Chiclayo to Cajamarca. There might be shared taxies or "combis" which are vans that make the routs that larger buses cant make. I do know there is flights from Lima to Tarapoto(Starperu Airlines) or Lima to Chiclayo(Taca Airlines).

The road from Lima To any coastal city uses the Panamerican highway which is smooth all the way. i went from Chiclayo to Chachapoyas and it was paved most of the way but since you are going up the Andes Mountains the road does zig zag a lot and you can feel the motion sitting on the bus.

Good luck.

2. Re: How challenging is a trip to Chachapoyas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 19:15