We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chachapoyas from Ecuador

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Chachapoyas from Ecuador

What would be the best way to get from Ecuador to Chachapoyas by public transport? We're going to be travelling around early September. We were thinking of going from Cuenca in Ecuador to Zumba and on to Chachapoyas, but can't find a lot of information on the logistics of that.

The other option is to go down the coast from Ecuador to Chiclayo (stopping at Mancora), but we'd prefer the first option if possible.

Would that be feasible?

Peru
Level Contributor
670 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Chachapoyas from Ecuador

Hi there!

Chachapoyas is kind of difficult to get to since it is located pretty far inland on the edge of the Jungle. Civa Bus offers services to Chachapoyas but only from Lima or Chiclayo. Chiclayo to Chachapoyas is a 9 to 10-hour trip by bus, and it is not the most comfortable ride. Movil Tours is another option, but you still have to leave out of Chiclayo.

You are probably better off staying in Chiclayo and maybe visiting Trujillo.

Hopefully this is helpful! Safe travels!

Kathleen

Latin America For Less/Peru For Less

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chachapoyas from Ecuador

Yes some travellers do go from Loja/Vilcabamba to Chachapoyas by the direct inland route. It involves however several changes of transport and it will take at least 1.5 day from Vilcabamba.

Vilcabamba or Loja – Zumba by bus (early morning)

Zumba – La Balsa by ranchera

Cross the border (no difficulty or danger here)

La – Balsa to San Ignacio by collectivo (stay the night)

San Ignacio – Jaen by collectivo or minibus

Jaen – Bagua Grande by collectivo or minibus

Bagua Granda - Chachapoyas by collectivo or minibus.

London
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chachapoyas from Ecuador

We did the inland route from Vilcabamba as described by Pierre above last year. quite fun and not especially difficult but time consuming and the roads were generally pretty bad. i would recommend getting to the border at Zumba/La Balsa as early as possible and preferably before dark. Expect a LOT of waiting around. we did it over two days staying overnight in San Ignacio and Jaen.

we got the second bus of the day from Vilcabamba about 10.00am as the first was full. we arrived in Chachapoyas around lunchtime on the third day.

some more detail and photos on our blog -

…travelpod.com/travel-blog/…tpod.html

entries 12-13 cover that part of our trip

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,677 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chachapoyas from Ecuador

The easiest way is to fly from Guayaquil or Quito to Lima and then fly to Chachapoyas. You will save lots of uncomfortable and dangerous hours on buses.

London
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
284 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chachapoyas from Ecuador

Unless things have changed recently, I don't think there are any direct flights form Lima to Chachapoyas. The Peruvian Airforce operate a limited number of flights from Chiclayo and Cajamarca but only on certain days.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chachapoyas from Ecuador

You can travel with CIVA to Chiclayo and from there take a bus to Chachapoyas with MOVIL TOURS.

I recomend you to take the bus Chiclayo-Pedro Ruiz ( this is an small town located 45 minutes before you get to Chachapoyas).

At 25 minutes from Pedro Ruiz there is an small village called Cuispes, with some of the highest and incredible waterfalls in the planet, not a long time ago, these gorgeus waterfalls had been discovered so there are not a lot of tourism getting there.

Here I posted some photos of this place.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g2656664-d…

Edited: 20 June 2014, 22:50
London, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chachapoyas from Ecuador

we are doing this route this week, i'll try to remember to post an update as i've heard that many of the roads have improved.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chachapoyas from Ecuador

That would be great, thank you. We're in Ecuador now, planning to head to Peru in a couple of weeks

London, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chachapoyas from Ecuador

if you stay at the izhcayluma hostel (sp?) in vilcabamba, they have a whole folder about this, very helpful. they have a great shuttle service from Cuenca (hostal cigale) to izhcayluma, direct, for 15$. this works about between 4 to 6 dollars more expensive than public transport, and 1.5 hrs shorter. and quieter. we took this shuttle and one couple got out in vilcabamba centre, so i’m assuming you don’t have to be a hostel guest.

vilcabamba has 5 atms, which may or may not work with your cards.

basically, once you're on the bus in vilcabamba and telling people you're heading for the border, you'll always be herded in the right direction.

1. vilcabamba 6am (ish), bus to zumba. however, sometimes this bus only runs to palanda, for unknown reasons. in that case you join others in getting a pick up truck (should be 35-40$ for the truck) or hang around until 1 to get the next bus. mostly paved, but near palanda becomes dirt.

there is currently construction between palanda and zumba, and the road closes for hours at certain times. our driver somehow sweet-talked his way through, but it took a while.

2. zumba. 1pm or 8pm direct bus to Jaen, but the ticket office is rarely open so pay on the bus.

3. zumba to la balsa--by chiva. twisty dirt road. take a bag of sweets to share around. apparently there's usually a chiva around 7am, so you could stay the night and catch that. hospedajes are basic. or you get the 1pm chiva.

we were delayed horribly because of a local walking day in honour of a saint. we knew it was happening in Loja, but didn't know they were going to close the road to la balsa. we ended up walking with the procession at the end. this shouldn't happen to anyone else, so i wouldn't worry.

4. go to ecuador migraciones in la balsa, cross the bridge, peruvian migraciones, then police, then migraciones, then taxi to san ignacio. very good paved road.

if you haven't lost the will to live by this point, you might carry on to jaen. no one we met recommended this as a night journey. we stayed in san ignacio and were in a collectivo to jaen at 8am.

5. San Ig to Jaen, then mototaxi to collectivo/combi stations, then Jaen to BAgua Grande. all paved. you can chose a car (4 ppl) or a combi, which is less expensive but more crowded and will make more stops.

6. BG: collectivo or Movil bus to Chachapoyas. this should be 3 hours on a good paved road (currently one 15 minute section of construction) but our driver did it in 2 hrs 10 minutes. we arrived at 3pm. i wanted to kiss the ground when we finally got out, but i was afraid he might run me over.

beautiful scenery. but very very long travel days. unlike in ecuador, no one gets on sell food, so stock up before you head out. on the last section, you'll stop in pedro ruiz long enough to drop/pick up passengers and use the very basic toilet.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chachapoyas from Ecuador

voyagesouth.co.uk/2015/… We did this just 2 days ago. We managed to get from Vilcabamba to Chachapoyas in 14 hours.

Get answers to your questions about Chachapoyas