We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this resort right for us?

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Is this resort right for us?

Hi folks

Myself and other half (mid thirties) are contemplating Mykonos for June 2014.

We are drawn to some of the well-regarded and well-priced family-run hotels in Agios Ioannis such as Lithos and Bellissimo - but I wonder if the resort is a bit "out of the way" - but then we aren't party animals either!

Does the Agios Ioannis beach have loungers/parasols and if so does anyone know the price please.

Also it looks like there aren't many restaurants in Agios Ioannis - is this correct, and if so how easy is it to walk to somewhere like Ornos for meals out. We don't really want to be driving in the evenings so we can both enjoy a drink.

Also, can anyone give us any idea of cost of meals/drinks in Agios Ioannis , Ornos and M. Town?

Thanks in advance!

15 replies to this topic
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this resort right for us?

It's definitely not a party beach, nor is Ornos, but it is one of the quieter main beaches and some might consider it out of the way. (It is walking distance to Ornos, though, and it's on the same bus route that serves Ornos, so it is easy to get to both Ornos and Town by bus).

There are sunbeds on the beach but I have no idea of the prices.

There is a wide range of restaurants at all price ranges on the island.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this resort right for us?

I was in Mykonos in June and July of this year. The beach at Ag. Ioannis is one of the more expensive with loungers 20 Euro per day for 2 or 30 for the double bed on beach. There are a few restaurants on the beach the most popular was Hippie Fish. This restaurant also had a pool where loungers were 10 Euro (these prices are for 2) . Was it worth it - not in my opinion. Service slow and there are nicer beaches. I have put a review on under Paolos Beach Studios if you care to read.

Ormos would be quite a long walk.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this resort right for us?

It's a 25-minute walk from beach to beach.

We weren't impressed with Hippie Fish a couple of years ago, and I haven't heard much positive feedback about it since. Thought it was expensive for what you get.

A livelier beach area with a good selection of restaurants (including three of the top restaurants on the island, according to the TripAdvisor reviews) is Platis Gialos.

Edited: 03 September 2013, 14:18
Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this resort right for us?

Thanks both for taking the time to reply.

In some ways the quieter Ag. Ioannis beach would suit us (or at least my other half) better, I struggle to convince him to go to the beach as it is. However, not sure paying 20E for 2 sunbeds suits me either. And we both like a choice of restaurants. I'll have another look at Platis Gialos and Ornos. A real shame as I really liked the look of Lithos and Belissimo.

The quest continues....

thanks again!

sultankot
Level Contributor
32 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this resort right for us?

sorry to cut you off , but i just read your an expert of mykonos.

I plan on visiting mykonos , maybe summer 2014 as they say its best in the summers.

I love to party. So what will be a good place for me to stay. I will be travelling alone so i prefer a cheap hotel/b&b/hostel. I plan on staying in mykonos for 7 nights atleast

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this resort right for us?

I have just come back from staying in Ornos, but went to Agios Ioannis twice. We walked both times, a bit up and down hill but no problem. The Lithos is a lovely place, I was considering it when we booked but thought it would be too far out, when in fact it really isnt. The bus runs every half an hour at night and hour in the day which makes it really easy to get to Ornos if you dont want to walk and Mykonos town to go out at night. Agios Ioannis beach is very pretty, nice and quiet and relaxed. We had sunbeds at Hippy fish and paid 15 euro for two, and there is another sunbed place at the other side which is 12. Hippy fish is a pretentious rip off but wonderful for people watching, the other side is much quieter with a nice restaurant and bar, cant remember the name but you cant miss it. We stayed at Casa Bianca in Ornos, not quite got the same feel as Lithos but was a truly wonderful place to stay. The distances are so short though, I wouldnt let it put you off.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
4,728 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this resort right for us?

Hi Gail

thank you for this, much appreciated.

Still pondering holidays for next year so will bear this in mind. Can you remember how long the walk was from Ornos for Ag. Ioannis please and was the walk on a main road? I don't fancy being run over in the middle of the night by a scooter...

Please could you give me some idea of costs of eating/drinking out in M. Town and Ornos?

Thanks!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this resort right for us?

VegasShowgirl: I mentioned the walking time in post #3 -- it's 25 minutes. That's the exact time it took to walk from Agios Ioannis beach right to the beach at Ornos. And it's along the main road, which is paved (no sidewalks).

Restaurant costs vary because there's everything from cheap gyros (two could dine for under €10 each,with a beer, at Sakis Grill House) to daily specials at places like Fato a Mano Marco Polo (where around €12 might get one person a small Greek salad, choice of grilled calamari or moussaka, and one glass of house wine), to expensive seafood restaurants and specialty international restaurants that will easily cost well over €100. Expect to pay upwards of €35 euros for a typical dinner for two with house wine. Almost every restaurant posts a menu out from so you can determine the potential wallet damage before entering.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this resort right for us?

Well as donny b has timed it exactly I won't argue with him! It is hilly and there isn't a pavement, you would need a torch at night. There was a bit of traffic on the road but it was ok, as I said you can always get the bus, if I was staying there, I would walk to ornos and get the bus back at the end of the night as you can see the bus station (a man with a chain over the bus parking spot) from any of the bars on the beach and it does run on time. Donny is correct in his prices, the thing to beware of is the price of drinks, spirits and cocktails are expensive everywhere, house wine is generally 6 euro for half a ltr, beers ranged from 3 to 8 euros! Cocktails were about 11, spirits around 9, so it adds up. Having said that, mykonos is beautiful and worth the prices.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this resort right for us?

<<there isn't a pavement>>

Gail, the road is indeed paved ... it's asphalt all the way!

Reply to: Is this resort right for us?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Agios Ioannis Diakoftis
More Agios Ioannis Diakoftis Topics