We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel between Savannakhet and Pakse / Champasak

Which Savannakhet hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen
2 posts
Save Topic
travel between Savannakhet and Pakse / Champasak

Is it possible to hire a car to Champasak in the airport of Savannakhet?

Can anybody indicate a price for such a transport?

Can I find a good guide in Champassak who knows about Wat Pru? What will the price be for two days of guiding?

Arrived into Champassak can I arrange a retourn trip by car to Savannakhet or should I just rent the car in Savannakhet for two days? What will be the cheapest?

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,122 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel between Savannakhet and Pakse / Champasak

I rented a car with driver in pakse last year with work - its not cheap. We got 3 quotes, and the cheapest was 7000baht (USD220) from Pakse to Savannakhet, and another 7000 from Pakse to the cambodian border in Champasak Province (Champasak is not a town).

You can't hire cars with driver from savannakhet airport - you need to go into savannakhet and ask at the tourism office.

All the guides and transport infrastructure for visits to Champasak and Wat Phou are in Pakse, not savannakhet. In Pakse there are lots of guesthouses selling daily minibus tickets to the temple, and they can also help you organise a guide.

Also - 2 days guiding round Wat Phou is too much. I've seen guides showing people round when I've been there myself and half a day is enough to explore- its not a huge complex but it very picturesque.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel between Savannakhet and Pakse / Champasak

Use the bus for transport.

I also agree that 1/2 day at Wat Phu is plenty.

Laos
Level Contributor
502 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel between Savannakhet and Pakse / Champasak

The airport in Savannakhet is pretty poor in terms of services. Savannakhet Tourism Information office is not much better. Once in Savannakhet I would just catch a bus down to Pakse and organise everything from there - as Bluecramp says, everything is set up for you in Pakse to organise these trips.

If you do want to organise something in Savannakhet, I would go to the Savannkahet Eco Guides Office - you can also contact them through their website - www.savannakhet-trekking.com - they offer general info and tourism services as well.

While the Wat Phou complex itself is only worth half a day, the town of Champasak and the ancient city just the other side of Wat Phou are well worth some time and I would recommend spending a couple of days down in Champasak Town.

4. Re: travel between Savannakhet and Pakse / Champasak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Savannakhet