We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go Hotels is back in business from the 16th May 2014!

Which Tacloban hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,147 posts
1,509 reviews
Save Topic
Go Hotels is back in business from the 16th May 2014!

This was a hotel I had booked in transit last Christmas but after the deadly typhoon that hit the region I cancelled and changed my plans. Instead of starting from Tacloban I started from Cebu to discover the lovely Padre Burgos area.

It seems the area is starting to recover and a great base to visit lovely places like Padre Burgos that offer whale watching and dolphin spotting.

Tommo

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,500 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Go Hotels is back in business from the 16th May 2014!

This is good news indeed. Eastern Visayas needs more businesses and investors.

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
2,232 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Go Hotels is back in business from the 16th May 2014!

You may be interested in this article, tommo. It featured on the UK's Guardian website today; although the area is beginning to recover, there is still quite a way to go yet.

theguardian.com/world/2014/may/08/typhoon-ha…

Edited: 09 May 2014, 12:42
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,147 posts
1,509 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Go Hotels is back in business from the 16th May 2014!

@Loubbyloulou thanks for sharing. Great & touching article.

Tommo

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,698 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Go Hotels is back in business from the 16th May 2014!

The typhoon season is coming soon.

I hope it will skip Leyte this time.

Tacloban and the rest of the affected islands will just need one small typhoon to bring them back to 6 months ago.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,673 posts
1,968 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Go Hotels is back in business from the 16th May 2014!

It would really help if someone who has been to Tacloban could go through the complete TA listings of restaurants, hotels, B & Bs and speciality accommodation and ask for any premises that are PERMANENTLY closed to be deleted from the database.

Of course some may be under repair, so those can stay. This would be a huge help as the current TA listings for Tacloban must be extremely misleading.

mousehunt, the biggest problem is that the replacement structures (dormitories) look flimsy.

It is the complete obverse of what occurred in Darwin, Australia after Cyclone Tracy struck in 1974. There, I gather that stringent building codes were mandated. Of course many in Tacloban cannot afford more resilient structures but if a community cannot learn from the lessons of history, it is at risk of repeating them.

One might have thought that international aid agencies would insist upon stronger rebuilt buildings for residential use. If 'one' thought that, 'one' might be wrong. Sadly.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
8,458 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Go Hotels is back in business from the 16th May 2014!

The typhoon season is coming soon.

I hope it will skip Leyte this time.

------------------------------------------

Most typhoons mean nothing at all. Just a lot of wind and rain.

7. Re: Go Hotels is back in business from the 16th May 2014!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2016, 09:18