We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Construction at Cayo Levantado.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Construction at Cayo Levantado.

I have some bad news for those arriving within the next while at least. There is full tilt construction of 2 large villas in the area of Don Pablo across from villa 16. Any of the garden rooms or villas 16,17,18 will encounter a lot of noise during the day. Sorry, I don't know any more details.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
299 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Construction at Cayo Levantado.

Hi we where there when they started the construction in september but we where fine as we where in the main building,they said they are doing 2 more sets of villa's as they need more accomadation for more guests as they are always, nearlly full which is not surprising,to be honest you could see and hear the noise when going past so I dont think I would like a villa near by the construction,they didnot say how long it would go on for,but they was clearing the way very quick so it wont be long,where hopefully going back next year so it should be completed then hopefully

Cardiff
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Construction at Cayo Levantado.

Hope this isn't the beginning of the end for CL - It COULD cope with a few more people....but another 100 or so and the comfortable,exclusive feeling would be gone for ever!!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Construction at Cayo Levantado.

I heard it was two large villas. I guess it depends how many rooms in a villa.

essex
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Construction at Cayo Levantado.

Just returned from CL and we were told that these were to replace villa's that have subsidence problems.

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Construction at Cayo Levantado.

That makes sense, Essexgirl. MrF and I were talking about this today and he recalled being told by someone at CL, he couldn't remember who, that in the terms of their lease or possibly government regulation, they had to leave a certain proportion of their section of the island undeveloped and uncultivated. Presumably replacement villas rather than extra ones are OK.

Edited: 12 October 2013, 17:41
Quinte West, Canada
Level Contributor
674 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Construction at Cayo Levantado.

I remember reading about a court decision on this property and didn't it go against the current owners.

I understand changing new for old but I would want to know for sure if I was going to be there in the future.

In Dominican time though it may take several years to settle the ownership issue.

Has anyone heard about the ownership issue?

Steve

Edited: 12 October 2013, 18:29
Quinte West, Canada
Level Contributor
674 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Construction at Cayo Levantado.

I meant to ask in my last sentence if anyone had heard any new news about the ownership of the island?

Steve

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
254 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Construction at Cayo Levantado.

From what Ive read the current group has a 20 or 25 year lease on the Island. The other issue is likely moot or we wouldn't be seeing the construction IMHO.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Construction at Cayo Levantado.

Interesting about replacement villas. I wonder about that. I have never seen any villa on a map between # 16 and Don Pablo. Maybe they are building something else there. I asked one of the grounds crew about the other site across from that. I pointed to one of the smaller villas and he told me no, grande villa. I guess time will tell what is actually being built. Lol

england
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Construction at Cayo Levantado.

I wonder about this, I know that they had some problems with a couple of the superior roomed garden villas up by the spa - you can often smell a faint sewage smell when you walk past one of them but two years ago ground was cleared by the top pool which was where they planned to build a new block of villas 8 suites, the area is now screened off and the vegetation grown back, ground was also cleared next to villa 31 which has now been grassed over, for the construction of 4-5 beach villas, and the manager at that time told us that they needed a few more high end rooms comensurate with a five star establishment. Cant see them upgrading the garden villas as they do not enjoy the wonderful sea views but will be interesting to see how it pans out. When we were there in May I asked Zigi what the plans were for redevelopment and she just said not at present as the group were spending a lot in Punta Cana region but I guess plans can change in a couple of months especially with Cayo being full most of the time now. As Dave says the resort could cope with 20-30 more guests but much more than that and it will be beach towels at dawn.....

Get answers to your questions about Santa Barbara de Samana