We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanai A Nalu

Level Contributor
287 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Kanai A Nalu

Hi there! We were hoping to stay at Kanai A Nalu this Fall but heard that the pool was going to be closed for whatever reason (updates?) . Now I am hearing it won't be closed since they're delaying it. SO...now I am hoping this doesn't interfere with our trip there in October 2014. Anyone have any insight?? I know this is far off but we've been dying to go back since our last stay in 2011! The pool is a must for our young kids ;-)

14 replies to this topic
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kanai A Nalu

I had a message on July 2nd from a TA member on-site who said the pool would be closed for about a month for new decking and tile work. That message said September or October. Maybe you have heard something more recently? Perhaps that forum member will see your post and respond with more current info.

My sister and I usually stay at Kanai a Nalu; love it! We have a Maui trip coming up in October but decided to save $75 a night this time by staying in So. Kihei. That was before we heard about the pool thing. Serendipitous choice for us! I should think that whoever you are renting from would be able to contact the on-site property manager to get the most current information. I'd be curious to know what you find out.

Level Contributor
287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kanai A Nalu

Sooo...it's now February 2014. We did not return for a Fall 2013 trip since I was afraid the pool might be down for maintenance. As far as I know, nothing has been done? Now I am planning a trip this Fall. Does anyone know info about the Kanai a Nalu pool? :-/

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kanai A Nalu

I was curious about this too as I am thinking of a trip in late spring. I called Maalaea Bay Realty since we have rented from them in the past. They said there is not a firm date but "rumors are September". If you rent from someone else perhaps you can check with them to see if the story is the same. I'd like to know also so please post if you get an answer.

Level Contributor
287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kanai A Nalu

Barbaramilwaukie (I am in Forest Grove ;-) , I inquired from the owner of the condo I may rent from and she said she knew nothing but said they have a property owners meeting on March 5th so maybe that will be discussed. I also shot and email to, what I think is, the management of Kanai a Nalu with the inquiry. I have yet to get a response. I will post if I find out anything at all.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kanai A Nalu

Biddy,

Have you received any updated info about the pool closure? I'm planning to make my reservations today for our May trip. Also, I sent you a private message on TA to ask about the unit you rent.

Nice to see the sun out here in Oregon this week!!

Barbara

Level Contributor
287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kanai A Nalu

Hi there! The only news I have heard is that they are in the process of getting bids. No date has been scheduled yet but they are waiting to do it sometime after Sept. It will be closed for 5-10 days and during the closure, the pool next store (Hana Kai??) may be used. Soooo frustrating to me because we didn't go last October since they said they were doing this then. Now it's delaying us booking for this October. May have to wait another year (sigh).... I will PM you back ;-)

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kanai A Nalu

Barbara......congrats!!! Please let me know via pm your news! Very happy for you and how cool Biddy saw this post. Wish the news was better for you Biddy. Deb

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,084 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kanai A Nalu

Thanks for the update, Biddy. It sounds as if we will be safe from pool issues in May if they are just now taking bids. I think I would be OK with the pool at Hono Kai. It is small, but oceanfront with lawn chairs along the edge of the ocean. I would probably hang out on the lawn at Kanai a Nalu and just stroll next door if I wanted a dip. Of course, the noise of pool work could be a problem.

Deb: I decided the sooner the better for booking...while everyone is in good health (knock on wood).

I have an airline credit from the cancelled trip last fall that must be used soon, plus some Foodland gift certificates that expire this summer.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
123 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kanai A Nalu

I am looking into a trip this year as well and one of the owners told me it looks like October this year for the repairs. They said the same thing last year so not really sure what the hold up was last year. This the reply when I asked about pool work. "The pool will. Not be worked on until Oct"

Level Contributor
287 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kanai A Nalu

Looks like we'll have to hold off another year. :(

Reply to: Kanai A Nalu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Maalaea