We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bug bites??

burnaby
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
bug bites??

We have travelled to Maui several times but this is the first time I have ever been eaten alive by bugs....either mosquitos or sand fleas.....I have little red bites all over but they are not itchy...has anyone else experienced this?

23 replies to this topic
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bug bites??

So where were you staying!? Many years and no bites!

Oregon
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bug bites??

I read a trip report not long ago and the woman commented about bites that were driving her mad. She sounded puzzled as well.

Oregon
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bug bites??

I just reread your post and see that yours are NOT itchy - must be different bugs and/or reaction as hers were itchy.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: bug bites??

There is a bug called the no-see-um. Smaller than a misquito and can go through a screen, a form of a sand flea. It that can cause itchy bites. It is an invasive species in Hawaii.

Oregon
Level Contributor
423 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bug bites??

Are they the kind that come out in full force before sunset? I experienced that in Mexico - went for a beach stroll before twilight, and was a bug smorgasbord from my knees down.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,707 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bug bites??

There are no no-see-ums in Hawai`i.

http://www.hawaiigaga.com/HealthGuide.aspx

If I had to guess, I'd say that the bites are from mosquitoes, and the OP just doesn't get much of an allergic reaction to them.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: bug bites??

My husband actually had a similar thing happen on our trip last month. He had bites all over his legs that were very prominent and bright red. Some of them itched and some didn't. He always sprayed a ton of bug spray before we went out, so I was surprised he had gotten bitten. I have no idea what they were though.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: bug bites??

yes, or maybe not a bug bite at all - a rash maybe from the sun or a reaction to sunscreen or something you ate. I get sun rash sometimes if I go out when I'm too white :)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bug bites??

Is it possible it is bedbug bites? I hate bug bites of ANY kind!

www.cdc.gov/parasites/bedbugs/faqs.html

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bug bites??

I agree with nesdog it could be a reaction to the sun or sunscreen. I can get that on my chest sometimes when I first get in the sun.

I think bedbug bites itch but don't know from experience thank goodness.

Reply to: bug bites??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Maalaea