We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I finally went to Savoca!!

Which Savoca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Island of Hawaii...
Level Contributor
1,509 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
I finally went to Savoca!!

Dear Vagabonda, I'm back. Many, many thanks to you!

From Taormina, I took the Interbus to Santa Teresa di Riva. I waited at the bus stop from 9:05 to 10:10. During that time, there was supposed to be two buses to Savoca, and another two buses to other destinations, as stated on the sign. But not a single bus showed up. I asked the lady who owned the negozio if that was the correct bus stop, and kept saying yes. I believe her.

After waiting for more than an hour, I was very disappointed, and told myself that it must be fate that I don't see Savoca.

I went to a caffe to ask for directions to the bus stop to catch a bus back to Taormina. I must have looked very sad. A very kind woman offered to take me up there, saying it's only a few km. I took the offer, since I was so desperate.

So I went to Savoca! Another item checked, off my bucket list.

I didn't dare to trust a Jonica bus to be up there anytime soon. There were two tour buses, and I asked the guide of one of them if I could take a ride with them. The group welcomed me, and commented on how "brave" I was to travel alone. So it ended well.

I want to say that all the other buses from Interbus and AST were very reliable.

13 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I finally went to Savoca!!

Welcome back vteotl!!

Thanks for this report – In the future, I will recommend hiring a car for the day or taking a tour. There’s no other way up to Savoca!

Hope you enjoyed Savoca - How lovely of that woman to offer you the ride!

The best –

Vagabonda

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I finally went to Savoca!!

So, was it worth the trip? We are planning our second trip to Sicily and I just read about Savoca, We will be staying in Taormina and thought we might visit Savoca because it is not far.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I finally went to Savoca!!

Are you a Godfather enthusiast?

Do you plan to hire a car?

Vagabonda

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I finally went to Savoca!!

no, I am not a God Father enthusiast, I was planning to hire someone to drive us if it is worth going, Have you been to Castelmola? If so is Savoca as beautiful?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I finally went to Savoca!!

Thank you for the additional information susan11111.

Much would depend on your number of days, your base locations, and your other intended day trip destinations.

If you were to go to Savoca, then what destination wouldn't you fit into your itinerary?

Castelmola is a beautiful town, named one of Italy's prettiest villages, and Castelmola is an easy Interbus ride from Taormina. You might even walk back down to Taormina from Castelmola.

borghipiubelliditalia.it/en/component/borgi/…

Savoca is a pretty town as well, and Savoca is also named one of Italy's prettiest towns. With sufficient time, then perhaps consider both towns, but if you're not a Godfather enthusiast, and you have time for only one town, then Castelmola is more convenient than Savoca from Taormina.

borghipiubelliditalia.it/en/component/borgi/…

Vagabonda

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I finally went to Savoca!!

Thank you, I will think about going to Savoca. We are spending 2 nights in Syracuse and 6 nights in Taormina, I plan on a wine tour of Mt. Aetna, a day in Castemola, and a day at the beach, and a boat ride. Do you have any suggestions for a boat ride on a small boat?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I finally went to Savoca!!

Take some time from Taormina, and add those days to Siracusa.

Siracusa has so much more to see and do.

Castelmola waarrants half a day.

You would surely have time for Savoca.

And you can easily accommodate three wineries on a day around Etna.

Wine Tour in Etna Wineries:

taxirobertomirabile.com/2/mt_etna_tours_wine…

Several companies run short boat rides around Taormina and around taormina, and into Grotta Azzura.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18789…

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
96,132 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: I finally went to Savoca!!

Have you been to Etna, or the historic centre of Catania and the fish market?

And there are also so many excursions from Taormina, including Piazza Armerina's phenomenal Villa Romana del Casale, or the Aeolians.

Vagabonda

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I finally went to Savoca!!

Thanks for all of your tips. We already have our reservations and are not changing them though, We have been to Taormina before and LOVE our hotel which we are staying in again and this time we plan to walk from our hotel which is above the city, to Castemola. I will check out your links. Thanks again!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
7 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I finally went to Savoca!!

and I forgot to mention that we have NOT yet been to Etna

Edited: 22 May 2016, 23:00
Reply to: I finally went to Savoca!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Savoca
Recent Conversations