We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from my 18th trip to Agonda

sheffield
Level Contributor
465 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from my 18th trip to Agonda

The unusually low price of my flight with Thomas Cook prompted a return to Agonda ahead of my usual month in January/February.

It is all so much quieter before Christmas with only a few restaurants appearing to be busy. Among those I visited are Rainbow, White Sands and Tiger Canisha on the north side and La Fenice on the south side. La Fenice is a new this year and offers fine Italian cuisine at good prices. I had a great pizza and friends tucked into a seafood past and another had spaghetti. the owner is justifiably proud to show off his imported ingredients. La Dolce vita further down on the south side also boast such ingredients but really only scores on those things which it does very well eg ravioli.

Rainbow is under new management and is well worth a visit. Most of the older restaurants have increased their prices this year and the prices at Rainbow reflect this but you will not be disappointed by the quality of the food. Try the fish which is proudly displayed after sunset. Though obvious from the beach the entrance from the road is less so. Just pull up slightly before White Sands and just back from its parking lot is a wooden gate leading through a narrow passage where Carlos' family live, have cockrels (!) and two stone rooms worth asking about. Beyond these is the Rainbow huts and restaurant.

If you are on your own or wanting to meet new folk Tiger Canisha is a good place to eat. I visited this more than any other place. Currently there are several returning groups who regularly eat there from France Czech Republic and Germany (hello Hap and Sabena). The host Francisco is a home-cooking Goan chef of great standing. Try and spend some time with him at the end of a meal and you will learn loads. This year I tried his coffee feni for the first time! I continue to delight in his beef steak, veg pakora, sweet potato xacuti and coconut milk curry.

If you need a taxi why not try Sulesh on 91 94 23 836934. His has two drivers so should be able to help.

I'll be back again after 21 January for a month. Now there's a recommendation for Agonda!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
93 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from my 18th trip to Agonda

Hi.

I'm thinking of trying Agonda for a couple of nights in the second week of jan, do you think i will get a decent hut on the front,(sea facing) if I just turn up or would I have to book in advance, Cheers Nick.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from my 18th trip to Agonda

sounds great mate i am off there tomorrow will give some of those places a go :-)

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from my 18th trip to Agonda

Sounds like you had a great trip, thanks for sharing.

Bridlington
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from my 18th trip to Agonda

Hi philip

thanks for the trip report i enjoyed reading it .

It good job the rupee up if restaurants prices are up

see you in january

sheffield
Level Contributor
465 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from my 18th trip to Agonda

Nicksboy, it is impossible to give guarantees but there are more huts this year and, when I was there, less business so you might be OK. Since you are only there 2 nights you may have to sacrifice some elements of your wish list!

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
219 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from my 18th trip to Agonda

it's sound awesome your 18th trip that a mindblowing record one how you do that?

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from my 18th trip to Agonda

Sounds lovely Music0, I could seriously do with some Agonda time right now, I want to be on that beach :(

Glad you had a great trip and not long to wait for the next one!!

England
Level Contributor
190 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from my 18th trip to Agonda

I'm off on Sunday so will definitely give your recommendations a try!!

sheffield
Level Contributor
465 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from my 18th trip to Agonda

Devonkat, PM me if you need a taxi organising.

Bridlington
Level Contributor
99 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from my 18th trip to Agonda

Hi Philip

did you manage to get a sim card

Get answers to your questions about Agonda