We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we do it?

Level Contributor
47 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Can we do it?

We started going to Goa a few years ago at the 'luxury end'; Park Hyatt, Alila Diwa etc because we could afford it and wanted the best for a couple of weeks away from work. Now retired we've moved down market (in terms of cost) so we can stay longer and just enjoy the wonders of Goa. A long stay at Sao Domingos in Cavelossim at the back end of 2013 was great and we will be back for a while towards the end of the season. But now we are thinking, what next? Browsing on various sites brought us to Agonda and the concept of 'Beach Huts'.

We are not looking for lively places with lots to do (so definitely South) and are happy for a day to be; get up, have breakfast, sunbathe, have lunch, sunbathe, shower and change, have dinner (preferably a good curry), go to bed. But could we cope with the beach hut concept? Minimalist accommodation in a bamboo bungalow on the beach, a restaurant on the door step and lots of peace and quiet.

I've seen several reviews for Agonda which are great, but they seem to be for fairly short stays. Does it work for 4/5/6 weeks. Could we cope? Perhaps we should have a trip down to Agonda when we are in Cavelossim next time? Where should we go?

Thoughts of the great Trip Advisor forum team would be much appreciated.

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,603 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we do it?

Personally I'd try it for a few nights first. When we went to Agonda (Madhus) I loved it and would have been happy to stay a bit longer. However one night was too long for my OH, as it was far too basic for him so now we only go down for the day. I'd be happy to stay somewhere like Sao Domingos long term but couldn't cope with staying long term in a basic beach hut. Some people do though, there was a man staying at Madhus when we were there who was there long term. I don't mind roughing it for a couple of nights and am happy staying in a basic Greek studio but a beach hut with luke warm water and very little storage space wouldn't suit me for a long term. We're all different though so it might suit you - but maybe it would be best to try a few nights first.

Swinton, United...
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we do it?

I'd agree with Gemma1 although she is much more knowledgable that I am in this area. From all the extensive reading I've done and from experience of Cavelossim I would base yourself there and perhaps try several days or a week (at most) in Agonda first time. My two weeks always feels paltry compared to longer stays but I'm not going to start wishing the next 10 years away - roll on Monday on Mobor beach.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 22:43
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
3,010 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we do it?

I could stay in Agonda for 6 weeks no problem in a hut, remember that Goa isn't really that big and you could travel to the North for a few nights or take trips into Palolem to stay in a guest house. Also there are guest houses in Agonda. You could always finish off your trip in a luxury hotel for a few nights. Go for it!

UK/Goa
Level Contributor
2,572 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we do it?

I went this week for an overnight stay.

I loved it.

However long term there is no wardrobe just a few hooks on a wall. It would be very basic and you would need non iron clothes.

If you are a couple and one wakes in the night there is no where to sit out and read a book so as not to disturb the other.

No kettle to make a cuppa.

I would be bored after so many times walking along the beach road with "come and see my shop".

Still loved my taster and will definitely go back. The mattress at Madhu's was soooo comfi and the joy of opening the door to the sea in the morning was awesome.

Level Contributor
47 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we do it?

Thanks everybody.

Looks like a trial visit on our next stay in Cavelossim is the best option.

Level Contributor
1,138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we do it?

If you are there long term may I suggest a few days in Gokarna Nemaste Cafe It is a beautiful place several restaurants tucked away at the back of the beach (no sun beds and limited alcohol)I went for 2 days really enjoyed it

liverpool
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can we do it?

why not do an agonda guest house rather than a hut ? book a week if no good move elsewhere win win situation

8. Re: Can we do it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Agonda