We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fisherman trawling close to shore

leicester england
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
fisherman trawling close to shore

this beach is a turtle portected beach and also has loads of dolphins who show. so why are fisherman allowed to trawl close to shore. ive never seen this before. these nets will take all fish including the dolphins and turtles. im here watching it now on monday 24 feb 2014. action needs to be taken to stop this !!

Somerset England
Level Contributor
398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fisherman trawling close to shore

Yep agree saw this too. I think it was due to the sea bringing everything in close.

I have also noted more small red snappers for sell. Nothing gets a chance to grow big.

Some locals would like to see the turtles gone. Then they could turn Agonda into baga next year and a more rupees and be very happy. Not!

Somerset England
Level Contributor
398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fisherman trawling close to shore

Repeated

Edited: 24 February 2014, 04:26
Somerset England
Level Contributor
398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fisherman trawling close to shore

There's an old saying that goes something like

When the last tree has been cut down

When the last ocean has been poluted

And when the last animal has been killed

Will people learn they can't eat MONEY

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Cavelossim
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: fisherman trawling close to shore

You only have to look at the number of people on this forum recently saying they are having a couple of days away from Baga or Candolim to get a feeling for it's increasing popularity. There have been some recent incidents of cows having been maimed in the area, also leopards have recently been attacking domestic pets as they have been displaced from their habitat by the increased development. The turtles will not breed on beaches where there is noise or vibration and the increasing number of restaurants on the beach means that this is adding to the noise etc.

Still, as long as everyone can enjoy their few days and be entertained in the manner they enjoy! I don't really go to Agonda any more as I do not want to add to its decimation. I think the tourist authorities and nature conservancy authorities need to think about closing off some of the beaches totally to catering, accommodation and party venues. It can easily be done and the local economy can benefit by the beach being run as a daytime nature reserve, paid admission, boardwalks etc. There are 2 beautiful beaches I can think of outside Simonstown, near Cape Town, where the beaches have been preserved, but you can pay to take a look without disturbing the sands or the marine life - Boulder's Beach and Foxy Beach.

Of course, the tourists can't be blamed for the boats trawling close to the shore. That is about the demand for fish out of the sea by everyone, all around the world. The fishermen will trawl according to where the fish are located and they do move around.

Difficult balance - I can understand the tourist trade people wanting to make money and not being all that bothered by the impact of their businesses on the environment. Generally, the tourists couldn't care less anyway. You only have to look at some of the posts where democracy and the right by the world's largest democracy in terms of the size of the electorate to vote are reduced down to 'how dare the bars close at 10pm when I am on my holiday'!

Somerset England
Level Contributor
398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fisherman trawling close to shore

Some morons have turned leopard valley into a raving thumping party place. This should be shut down now!its driving the real leopards into agonda.

Keep the north for all the tourist tat, big hotels, night clubs, rivers return pubs etc and stop any development in the south.

Otherwise greed will destroy it all

6. Re: fisherman trawling close to shore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 February 2014, 13:05
Somerset England
Level Contributor
398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fisherman trawling close to shore

Two more came in close today. Right in front of where the turtles lay their eggs. Any babies or adult turtles Caught in the nets will drown which could explain how a dead turtle was washed up a few weeks ago.

Enjoy it while you can.

The beach is being robbed of sand every night to build more rooms. Talk about killing the golden goose.

How greed drives the stupid

leicester england
Level Contributor
68 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fisherman trawling close to shore

Yes saw that leopard valley music thing-why????

And this year there are so many more huts on the expensive side - obviously aiming at russians. i agree with everything youve said but feel so helpless. nature doesnt stand a chance anymore.weve noticed also tgat at talpona and polem there are fish farming stations aswell out at sea. yes agree its just greed.

London
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
4,847 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fisherman trawling close to shore

There were two big turtles washed up on the beach at Betalbatim last week. Very sad to see. In the paper it said that these have been displaced from Morjim by partying Russians. Because they are desperate to get back to the beach they were born in to lay their own eggs, they keep trying, but the noise and disturbance puts them off. Eventually they become exhausted and die. I am absolutely appalled by this.

I stayed in Agonda for one night this year, but will think twice before staying again.

I've been bleating on about coastal erosion and overfishing for years, have written to the papers, to various conservation organisations and don't know what else I as an individual can do. Humans have a lot to answer for, and in my book, all species have an equal right to space on this planet. Shame the others don't have cheque books and credit cards as well.

10. Re: fisherman trawling close to shore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2015, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Agonda