We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raglan

Which Raglan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southwestern Plains
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Raglan

Anybody stayed at any of the Sleeping Lady accommodations? What about the Raglan Surf School or Surf Dames for lessons? I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
318 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Raglan

We (a group of ladies celebrating a 'special' birthday) stayed there last year. There were 10 of us so we hired the Lava Lounge lodge and the studio that is below it too.

We were really happy with it (Lava Lounge) - well equipped kitchen, spa pool, lovely deck with view down to sea, bbq etc. The studio was good as well but I wouldn't be keen to hire it on its own as it is quite small and tucked away.

The location was brilliant being no more than a 5 minute walk to Whale Bay. It is about 10-15 minute drive into Raglan town but I think it is nicer to be out at the beach. We also enjoyed going for a bush walk up behind the lodge and using the flying fox and confidence course (a bit of fun). It is a lovely setting.

DH is an experienced surfer who as surfed there many times but I'm sorry - we haven't used the surf school so can't comment on that. Raglan (Whale Bay) is well known for its good surfing but my general impression has been that its not particularly suitable for beginners especially as the rocky coastline is not that forgiving. However, I seem to remember that there is another beach very close by that lessons are based at. I found the staff at Sleeping Lady Lodges very friendly and informative so they should be able to answer questions in regards to the lessons and the suitability of the waves.

I assume that you've checked out their website but if not, here it is:

http://www.sleepinglady.co.nz/

Southwestern Plains
Level Contributor
35 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Raglan

Thank you. I am happy to hear about the Lava Lounge. I think Raglan maybe a wonderful getaway, but I should probably consider Mt. Maunganui for beginner's surf lessons. Thanks again.

Auckland
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Raglan

I have taken a group of us for a lesson at the Raglan Surfing School, the lessons were at Raglan's main sandy beach. The lesson was great fun,and handled professionally by our instructor. We stayed with Sleeping Lady Lodgings at the On the Rocks lodge...awesome! Whale Bay is such a beautiful place. We had a nosy at their other lodges and all looked fantastic and well maintained. We would highly recommend them for your stay in Raglan.

4. Re: Raglan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2010, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Raglan
Recent Conversations