We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CUC exchange rate

ottawa
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
CUC exchange rate

Good day folks,

We are leaving for the Don Lino this coming wednesday and I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on what the Cuban government's current rate of extortion is for the Canadian dollar?

Currency exchanger has a $1.10 ( .90 c) posted. Is this accurate?

Cheers!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CUC exchange rate

Check this link for accurate rates in Cuba..

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k489088…

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,860 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: CUC exchange rate

“ ... what the Cuban government's current rate of extortion is for the Canadian dollar?”

Actually, the CUC is pegged to the US$, so if you are considering that you are being extorted, don’t point the gun at Cuba. At yesterday’s rate you can expect to get 88.38 CUC for $100. Cdn at a bank, a bit less at a Cadeca.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147270-i91-k489088… - 56614514

Is Canada’s rate of exchange relative to the US$ the fault of our or the US gov’t?

Edited: 08 March 2014, 14:50
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CUC exchange rate

Actually, if we need to blame anyone for the low value of the Canadian dollar, we might look first at the international currency traders.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: CUC exchange rate

Just as an interesting side note, yesterday was the first time in approximately a month that you could actually get slightly more in CUC at the bank in Cuba than you would get in US dollars at some of the banks in Canada.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,516 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: CUC exchange rate

Hola post 3

Really, a great many more things than money traders...a resource based dollar will always move up and down...I think 85 cents to U.S. is around the corner this year for the us....what goes up will come down..lol.

cheers.

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: CUC exchange rate

The lowering value of the CAD $ is annoying for us travelers. However, it's actually a good thing overall for many Canadian businesses. When the US economy is weak, so are we. When it is strong, likewise. I know from the perspective of a province that relies on agricultural/fishing exports and tourism, most people couldn't be happier the value of the dollar is going down.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: CUC exchange rate

Rrichar, of course you're correct. I was just trying to be a smart a**. Actually, I blame Mark Carney for abandoning us and going off to the UK to strengthen the pound against the US dollar.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: CUC exchange rate

Hi,

I use a webiste called "coinmill.com". Seems to be pretty accurate. Hope this helps.

Enjoy!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,564 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: CUC exchange rate

Actually, Coinmill isn't all that accurate. This one is the only accurate source of Cuban exchange rates:

bc.gob.cu/Espanol/tipo_cambio_METROPOLITANO.…

It gives the official rates charged by the banks in Cuba. Other sites like Coinmill don't take into account the service fees that all banks charge for currency exchange. As a result, Coinmill shows that you would get about 2% to 3% more than what you will really get. And that same degree of error applies to all currencies.

ottawa
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: CUC exchange rate

Thank you, Everyone!

Just trying to gauge the amount that I should submit to my wife for cigar purchase approval :).

Which will lead me to my next post....

Spring is in the air, and Quebec just might finally pack up ...but I digress.

Cheers!

Get answers to your questions about Rafael Freyre