We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paradisus Rio de Oro

Doncaster, England
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Paradisus Rio de Oro

my wife and I are going to Cuba in January (first time) and staying at the Paradisus Rio de Oro, any advice/tips would be welcome.

Snow Island
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Paradisus Rio de Oro

Excellent choice of resort for a first time visit to Cuba. You won't be disappointed!

Here are some of my tips for first time visitors to PRDO:

1) Save Wednesday evening for the Buffet -> Lobster night

2) Go to the Animation Desk as soon as possible, to book the Tuesday morning trip with the guys into the Cuban countryside. They take you to a Fishing Village (Boca de Sama), Doctor's office, a Cuban home for a snack, a local school, and the Guardalavaca Market - all for a very small fee.

3) Have the Front desk call a "Buggy & Driver" for you to ride out into Guardalavaca for a morning of exploring & shopping at the Market ( $6 CUC/person), the driver will wait for you, and drive you back.

4) The vendors at the Market are on a "daily rotation basis", so if you see something you like, buy it, as the vendor won't be there the next day.

5) If you aren't up for leaving the resort, there is a Market Booth by the Animation Desk (near the pool) where there is one vendor each day (other than Sat/Sun)

6) The Lobby Bar makes the best coffees in the resort... I usually order a Cappaccino and take it with me into the Buffet for breakfast.

7) After your workout in the Gym... take your beachtowel and go to one of the private caleticas for a dip in the ocean... heaven!

8) Book your a-la-carte at the Cuban restaurant "Bohio" on a week night for the "Son" trio entertainers, as they make the Bohio's ambiance absolutely magical-> they are off weekends (we have to remember this one for next year as we missed them )

9) There is a Gazebo at the Lobby Bar (beside the Pool Tables) that has refreshments to help yourself -> Mornings: sandwiches, goodies, cava, sparkling water. Evenings: various canapes, wine & cava.

Enjoy!

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Paradisus Rio de Oro

Hi Doug058,

I agree with all Cdngardengal has posted,

You may wish to pre book your restaurants, and

request a certain room, as you are probably going

at a busy time. We usualy book our restaurants for

the 1st week, book the remainder after we've been

there a few days. Restaurant e-mail address is--

reservas.restaurantes.pro@solmeliacuba.com

As for rooms I recommend top floor

corner room as they have a bigger balcony.E-mail

address is-jefe.reservas.pro@solmeliacuba.com

Hope this helps.

RAY....

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paradisus Rio de Oro

How early does everyone recommend for pre-booking restaurants. We are going there Jan 9th for our wedding.

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paradisus Rio de Oro

Book now never to early.

Have a wonderful wedding you will fall in love with PRDO

Bookings

reservas.restaurantes.pro@solmeliacuba.com

Doncaster, England
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Paradisus Rio de Oro

Thank you for the suggestions and advice, very useful and informative. We are going to the Paradius on the 23 January (9 weeks tomorrow)and are now starting to get excited about the trip. I will let you know how we get on.

Sunderland
Level Contributor
503 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paradisus Rio de Oro

There is no need to book meals now as we are just back and the hotel is still very quiet. We also went in June and again had no problem booking them the day after we got there with plenty of choice of days and times.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,350 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paradisus Rio de Oro

lyndsey_safc:

Any idea on the occupancy rate whilst you were there?

Snow Island
Level Contributor
679 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Paradisus Rio de Oro

"Any idea on the occupancy rate whilst you were there?"

Yes, that is my question also, except for this upcoming week. We've always gone end of November and the resort was at capacity then, for the last few years.

Bellagio, what was the occupancy rate when you've been a guest at the Paradisus Rio de Oro?

Sunderland
Level Contributor
503 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Paradisus Rio de Oro

roughly 300 people. There was a few blocks of rooms that they were working on and some rooms had mattresses in. They were also building more huts around the pool. The second week the pool area was full(even though the pool was empty as it was too cold)

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,350 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paradisus Rio de Oro

Cdngardengal:

I've never stayed there, only looked around. It's way too expensive for me being a single traveller from the UK. I have never seen it priced below a £1200 for two weeks as a single and I'm certainly not paying that sort of money.

Even at the low prices on offer now on the day I am flying it is double the price of Playa Pesquero for two people. It's not quoted as a single on that date.