We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paradisus rio de oro

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
269 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
paradisus rio de oro

hi there,

have just booked this 2 week holiday , leaving next wednesday from manchester, were going to mexico,but with the drama going on over there had to change.

just general info about the hotel, are the restaurants unlimited, or do you get a certain visit per week.is the food ok?where do you advise cahngeing currency, airport or hotel?what is the wee town like, what are the local souvinears?what are the prices like for food and drink outside of the resort, and taxis etc?

is it safe in the town?is the beach good, and is there good snorkeling to be had?

sorry for all the quetions, but we have not had much time to research this as it was last minute.any info given will be apprieciated,

jacdav xx

Ontario
Level Contributor
189 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paradisus rio de oro

Hi JacDav:

Well, even though you didn't have much time to research, you have lucked out and picked one of the best (if not THE best), resort in Cuba!

Beach is lovely, snorkelling right at one end (or you can take an excursion, for a change of scenery)

The food is really good by Cuban standards - probably the best on the island (not the same as a five star in Mexico though - they simply don't have access to the same products). I think the a la cartes are all worth a visit - Cuban is my favourite, mainly because of the ambiance. You should book restaurants as soon as you get there, or you can email ahead. You are generally limited to 4 a la cartes per week. Buffet is very good, lots of selection and both the beach and pool restaurants are great for lunch.

Changing currency can be done at the airport if you really feel you need to, but there is an exchange booth (cadeca) at the resort with comparable rates. Just change a bit at a time - it is expensive to exchange it back to Cdn or sterling or whatever.

Cuba is very safe - you can take a horse and buggy or taxi into the small town nearby - 10 or 15 pesos. There is a small market there - I don't generally buy many souvenirs in Cuba - usually just rum.

The staff at PRDO are wonderful and the resort itself is beautiful, not luxurious (this is Cuba)but very comfortable - casual Cuban elegance. Enjoy!

Toronto
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paradisus rio de oro

We also just made the switch from the Mayan Riviera to this resort and will be arriving on Tuesday. One of the features that appealed to us with our previous booking was that reservations were not required for the ala carte restaurants. I've seen mention that you can prebook with "Pablo", but no where does it tell you how you go about doing this. Any information would be greatly appreciated. As with "jacday", we made the decision on the spur of the moment based on availability. I'm sure the resort will be lovely and we'll have a great time no matter what, but we can't help but be disappointed that our original plans fell through.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
101 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: paradisus rio de oro

Hi

Looks like you are going to be on the same flight out of Manchester as we are :) We did quite a lot of research into PRDO before we booked, we had originally intended to go to Mexico but the last 2 premier seats on the flight went so we decided on Cuba with TC premier. The plane they cancelled to Mexico this morning was the one we should have been on! Sure we will all have a great time in Cuba, there is a meet at PRDO lobbybar of us lot arranged by Gossyboy for 9pm Friday 8th so prehaps see you there, if not before.

Pat

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
587 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paradisus rio de oro

jacdav try this link paradisus rio de oro or search the forum under pardisus rio de oro there are several post on this subject.

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: paradisus rio de oro

Hi MSTraveller14,

E-mail address to pre-book

restaurants--reservas.restaurantes.pro@solmeliacuba.

com

I also recommend top floor corner room (wrap around

balcony & extra window) e-mail-

jefe.ventas.pro@solmeliacuba.com

"Have a great time"

RAY....

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: paradisus rio de oro

Hi Sorry, room reservations should read---

jefe.reservas.pro@solmeliacuba.com

RAY....

Toronto
Level Contributor
27 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: paradisus rio de oro

Ray, thanks for the info... greatly appreciated. Not sure how much control we have over room assignments as we've booked through a pre-packaged tour company. Already got a response back on the restaurant reservations, so I guess it doesn't hurt to try and request a specific room. This whole day has been so overwhelming just getting everything settled. We're probably one of the lucky ones... I'm sure there's lots of people out there scrambling to make changes, and the pickings are getting pretty slim. I'm just happy I'll be on a beach and not in my own backyard!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
865 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: paradisus rio de oro

MSTraveller,

We were at PRDO a few years ago and had a terrific time! The grounds were beautiful, the staff very friendly, nice beach, not too crowded and the food was very good. The next year we went to the Riviera Maya and the experience there paled by comparison. I wouldn't return to the place in Mexico, but would go back to PRDO. Hopefully you will have a wonderful time in Cuba and have no regrets about having to change your plans :)

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
159 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: paradisus rio de oro

Well...good evening to all....It looks like I wasn't the only one lucky enough to get another resort last minute because my trip was cancelled with Air Canada to Mexico.

I'm getting married in 2 weeks and I have had my Honeymoon booked to the Mayan Riviera for 6 months!!

I had everything planned for our Honeymoon....had a beautiful suite booked, along with Birthday plan's for my Fiance's 40th birthday while there!!

Then this morning....everything was cancelled and my Travel agent was lucky enough to get seats on another Air Canada flight to get us to Cuba. PRDO was the resort she chose for us.

So here we are...Never been to Cuba, Don't know what were in for??

I have to be honest in saying...I'm a little disappointed not going to the Palladium in Mexico...

At least I knew who to contact for requests..etc... What to expect...

I just hope the weather is HOT....We love to tan!!

Thanks for listening to me VENT everyone,

Cin

St Helens, United...
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
682 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: paradisus rio de oro

I feel for you Cin as it's a real bummer to do so much research and planning only for it to fail at the last hurdle. It happened to us in 2005 and that was to Mexico as well. But pleased be assured you're definately onto a winner at the PRDO, it's absolutely beautiful.

Hope your wedding day is perfect and you have a fab honeymoon. Please come back and tell us all about it.

Get answers to your questions about Guardalavaca
Recent Conversations