We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prdo is being taken over by the riu chain next year

essex
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
prdo is being taken over by the riu chain next year

i have just found out after booking my holiday for next year back to the prdo coz its just a fantastic place and resort. that its being taken over by the hotel chain riu. im not sure if it will be staying adults only hope it does.

Staffs
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: prdo is being taken over by the riu chain next year

Gutted to hear that. I am not a big fan of the Riu chain so I just hope it doesn't spoil it (although I think it actually will!)

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,486 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prdo is being taken over by the riu chain next year

danboy_9:

Where did you hear that?

essex
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: prdo is being taken over by the riu chain next year

through thomas cook because i booked up to go back there next year and when i got my invoice through i saw the name of the hotel as paradisus riu, so i rang up and said thats not the hotel i wanted i said its not riu its the rio. but after they looked into it the riu is taking over from next year apparantley.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
101,486 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: prdo is being taken over by the riu chain next year

I appreciate what you have been told but I think the information could be wrong. How can anyone say that a hotel is to be taken over by another group that far ahead.

UK travel agents and tour operators are notorious for their lack of knowledge about Cuba and my guess is they have got Rui mixed up with Rio as you first thought.

Mind you I am only guessing and could well be wrong. Everyone said last year that Globalia would be buying Brisas Guardalavaca, as they already own Brisas Santa Lucia, but it still hasn't come to pass.

I'm glad you raised this though because I would have done exactly the same as you. Does anyone else have any news about this?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,934 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: prdo is being taken over by the riu chain next year

Could you imagine if they built one of those "Riu Palaces" there......yuk....hope it's not true.

essex
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: prdo is being taken over by the riu chain next year

well i thought it would be a mistake but i booked up with the same travel agents last year and all the info was right then and i even went down to my thomas cook to make sure and all the codes match to the one they showed me in the brochure.

i hope it stays adults only.

Welland, Canada
Level Contributor
942 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: prdo is being taken over by the riu chain next year

Since my husband and i are planning a trip to PRDO next year, I was very suprised to read that there may be management changes, therefore I e-mailed the resort and got an immediate response which I thought I'd share with so many PRDO fans.

"..... Paradisus Rio de Oro will remain as Paradisus from the Sol Melia chain, and an adults only (18 +) resort. Please, let me know where you heard this information and if there is a possibility of correcting it, because some people could remain thinking that it will change, and it will not. Thank you very much for contacting us to clarify it and for giving me the opportunity to communicate with you."

At your disposal.

With best regards,

Sarah

Sarah Jeisy Melo

Sales Executive / Ejecutiva de Ventas

Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa***** Adults Only 18+

Playa Esmeralda

Holguin - Cuba

Tel: + 53 24 430 090

Fax: + 53 24 430 095"

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
101,486 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: prdo is being taken over by the riu chain next year

Thanks for that. I didn't think it could be true because no one announces a take over tbat far ahead of time.

It must be that someone has mistaken Rio for Riu, well that's still my take on it for what it's worth.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,560 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: prdo is being taken over by the riu chain next year

Good! PRDO is on my hit list so I'm glad also. I thought there was something goofy there, because Paradissus is the hotel chain name as is Riu, so Paradissus Riu makes no sense at all. It would be something like Riu Rio de Oro instead?

England
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: prdo is being taken over by the riu chain next year

THANK GOD for mistakes!