We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

News from Guardalavaca etc.

Brockville, Canada.
Level Contributor
936 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
News from Guardalavaca etc.

Hi guys, well we have been here for almost two weeks now so here's all the local news....

The weather has been beautiful every single day, getting a nice tan!

I have not seen or heard any mention of conjunctivitis here at the hotel, although it is still going on in the local area.

The so-called "jinetera" problem has been stopped as of yesterday. From today on, any Cuban and tourist staying together in a room have to provide proof of marriage.

This is causing problems for some people who got married in the last few days as they have not yet received their documentation and their honeymoons are being ruined.

I think maybe if the Cuban had their own room, then that would be ok but I don't know the rules anymore than they do themselves.

This change affects all of Cuba, not any one specific hotel.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: News from Guardalavaca etc.

Great news Canadian Brit and thank you - re the jinetera problem, that is wonderful news and funny at the same time!!!! lol!!!!

Mississauga, Ontario
Level Contributor
474 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: News from Guardalavaca etc.

Canadian_Brit,

Thank you so much for taking the time to update us about these latest changes. So good to here, especially about pink eye situation improving. Now please go and enjoy yourself in that lonely sunshine and have a drink. You have earned it, just make sure you leave some for us. (both the rum and sunshine).

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,025 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: News from Guardalavaca etc.

Well I must say that this NEWS really upset a close friend who is engaged to be Married after Xmass and is booked with her husband to be from 15th of dec on. So I have been on the phone to Cayo Coco and resorts and tour reps know NOTHING about this at all ???????? Is it possible you confused 1 night stands and actually STAYING at the resort ?

LENNY

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: News from Guardalavaca etc.

Lenny - please elaborate on the concept of one night stand and just staying at the resort...am somewhat confused???? Perhaps we can clarify this confusion!!!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,025 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: News from Guardalavaca etc.

I don't know I was just guessing about what may happen where Can brit is cause no-one knows anything about this in Cayo Coco that I talked to but es Cuba so who knows. Another friend just booked thru Sunwing for Dec for her flight and resort and ground only for her boyfriend with no mention of a marriage certificate ?????? I guess we'll know soon enough for sure.

LENNY

Brockville, Canada.
Level Contributor
936 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: News from Guardalavaca etc.

Ok this is what I have been told, and don't shoot the messenger, I am trying to pass along info here.

If a tourist wants to share a room with a Cuban, he either has to be married to that Cuban and show proof, or he has to book the Cuban into the room from outside of Cuba.

This is intended to stop the old tourist guys from picking up young Cuban girls and bringing them to the hotels for the night, or the week, or whatever. They are trying to be diplomatic in that if the old tourist (or young, who cares) does actually have a Cuban girlfriend or fiancee, he can make the arrangements before he comes to Cuba.

If he picks up a girl on the beach and wants to have fun, well that is what they are trying to stop. People have been complaining about it for long enough, they are trying to make the tourists happy. This is not restricted to one hotel.

Like I said, I am only repeating what I have been told because I assume this will affect some of you. If I hear anything different I will update you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: News from Guardalavaca etc.

I think this is a great idea. It's becoming a problem at some hotels and turning off legitimate guests. I think what disgusts many of us is Canadian old farts going down there and getting hooked up with a young girl or boy. If they can handle the situation so as not to interfere with genuine relationships, I give my applause.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,025 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: News from Guardalavaca etc.

So as far as any resort management is concerned there has been NO change in regards to booking a room with a Cuban person or a person of any other nationality. When I enquired today about a room for a Canadian to share a room with a Cuban person the answer was no problem so I have no idea where all this BS is coming from but I think maybe to satisfy SOME people with an agenda that is going to hurt people that are TRULY in love and have to put up with the naysayers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody wants to have the whores male or female around but some of you seem to JUDGE others pretty quick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LENNY

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
9,025 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: News from Guardalavaca etc.

Just to verify what I said it seems that according to the OP if you book from abroad all is fine ?????????????????? Seems to me like this is a local problem that will be dealt with locally as nowhere else in Cuba has heard of these draconian rules being enforced !!

LENNY

10. Re: News from Guardalavaca etc.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 06 November 2009, 07:20