We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historical sites in/around Holguin

Toronto
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Historical sites in/around Holguin

We will be enjoying our second trip to Holguin (PDRO) in June. The resort was perfect but we'd also like to explore the area by Scooter/Car/Jeep whatever. Any ideas on places of interest, historical sites, etc.? Also, any hotels, restaurants in Holquin we may want to visit? Our plan is to spend a little less time on the actual resort (as lovely as it is) and more time exploring Cuba proper.

-Nick

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Historical sites in/around Holguin

I have the exact same question as you. I've check out Holguin city enough and would like to explore the surrounding towns and area.

bellagio................where art thou?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Historical sites in/around Holguin

I'm away from home at present. A lot depends on how far you want to travel. The nearest town of any size from the Guardalavaca resorts is Banes which is 52 kilometres from Pesquero beach and 34 kilometres from Guardalavaca. It is worth the drive to Banes as the scenery is spectacular and far different from that you see on the drive from Holguin Airport to the resorts.

A visit to Boca de Sama is well worthwhile and that is much closer. When you reach Canadon (on the road to Banes) you take a left turn as you enter the village. Other places you could visit are Antilla and also Tacejo but as the signposting is poor you might never find some of these places without asking someone at the resort for guidance.

I would definitely suggest you visit Gibara, but I wouldn't recommend taking the short cut through Fray Benito as the road is poor in parts and you certainly would get lost. Best to go via Holguin.

Obviously there is a lot to see in Holguin city itself and further afield you have Puerto Padre and the city of Las Tunas, but these would be too far to go by scooter.

These are just a few ideas of the top of my head.

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Historical sites in/around Holguin

Thanks for the info bellagio.

I will most likely visit Banes and Gibara for sure. Are there sufficient casas or even hotels to stay overnight in Gibara? Can't find much info on that on the net.

Back to the OP's original questions. The only hotels that I know of in Holguin city for tourists are Hotel Pernik and Hotel El Bosque. Both of these are not near the city center and require a 3 cuc taxi ride to get there. Hotel Pernik has a good sized pool and a popular disco that goes until the wee hours. As for restaurants in Holguin , I haven't been there enough to recommend anything. Just go to the main square (Calixto Garcia Park) and you will find some restaurants, galleries, museums and bars to choose from.

owen sound
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Historical sites in/around Holguin

CubanWaters

Try this web site Cuba-Junky.com

Here's a casa in Gibara

cuba-junky.com/holguin/casa_hostelworld_el_h…

Eleuthera
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Historical sites in/around Holguin

Gracias cuba-fan07, it comes with a fully equiped kitchen, laundry service and ...............a 2 car garage? This place has it all. Just might be what I am looking for.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,378 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Historical sites in/around Holguin

Another great Casa in Gibara is Los Hermanos, very clean, great hospitality and excellent food. I will try to find the details for you if you are interested.

Would definately recommend.

7. Re: Historical sites in/around Holguin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2010, 05:18