We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting out and using local services

glasgow
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
getting out and using local services

how easy is it to get out and about in guardalavaca?

i would like to get out of resort and see a bit of cuba

i would prefer to use local services rather than just relying on overpriced excursions.

we are only there for a week and i don't have much cash to splash.

this is my dream holiday and i have spent ages paying it up.

i am travelling alone with a small child (who is quite accustomed to travelling around europe with me - but hasn't been on such a long flight yet)

I HOPE TO GET TO HAVANA AS WELL.... any suggestions are welcome!

my trip just wouldn't be complete if i didn't get there

Smalltown, Canada
Level Contributor
619 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: getting out and using local services

There is a little "locomotive" that takes you out on a tour of the countryside for a small fare (I think about 10 CUC) that is fun

Havana is at the opposite end of Cuba and you would need to fly there I think, so probably not doable if you only have a week

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting out and using local services

You should have looked at a map before you booked. Guardalavaca to Havana is 800+ kilometres one way...

Cheers,

Terry

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: getting out and using local services

I see that you're going to Brisas, which is directly in the village. so you can easily visit and explore by yourself. However, don't expect anything to be cheap, as Guardalavaca is a touristic villages, with most (all?) the prices in CUC.

Like it was said before, Havana is really far from Guardalavaca. There are excursions offered at the hotels, including plane and 1 night at an hotel in Havana, and that must be almost the same price or just a bit less thant what it would cost you to organizing by yourself. but for only a week, I would not recommand it.

Want you could do is take a cab to Holguin (about 40CUC, the expert on the region will be able to be more accurate) and visit the town which is nice. This will get you a better idea of the Cuban reality.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,906 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting out and using local services

If you are only going for a week and travelling with a small child I would rule out the Havana trip.

If you have not already done so, check out the Top Questions about Guardalavaca which are at the top right hand side of the Guardalavaca forum home page. There you will find details of the currency and the organised excursions and many other useful links.

Definitely do the land train tour to Boca de Sama that Kadam describes and a visit to Gibara would be an excellent trip. Also look into a trip to Holguin as Gengen descibes. If you can get someone to share the taxi with you that will help reduce the cost for you.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting out and using local services

You could also try typing in 'things to do' or some other similar phrase into the search box at the top of the Guardalavaca forum and you'll get quite a bit of info....

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,381 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting out and using local services

I agree with the previous posters, a day trip to Havana is costly and a long day too (some 18+ hours) and it involves an hour or so flight each way. The day and overnight Havana excursion costs a lot more than the day trip, so I am afraid you may need to rule out a Havana visit this trip as your funds are limited.

If you are staying at the Brisas then you can safely walk off resort and explore the local area. You could also hire a horse and buggy to take you around, you can negotiate a price and duration with one of the horsemen.

If you horseride then you can go horse riding with one of the guys through the countryside (excellent). If you fancy doing that and your child is too young or inexperienced you could always leave him/her at the kids club whilst you go off exploring; the staff their are very good and will look after your child well so dont be too shy to do it and its also a way to get your child to make new friends too.

The landtrain ride that leaves from the hotel around 10am each day (as mentioned above) is a nice little trip out that lasts about 2 to 2.5 hours, give that a go for a reasonably priced excursion.

Wilmslow, United...
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: getting out and using local services

Is the train trip available to guests staying at other hotels (SLRM for me) or is it just for the Brisas guests only?

glasgow
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting out and using local services

THANKS TERRY

Yes I DID look a map - I am not THAT stupid... but sometimes money limits what you can book and I am also limited to where I can actually FLY TO since I live on the other side of the atlantic

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,645 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: getting out and using local services

Sorry if I misunderstood, somoslagente. You've made multiple posting about how tight your budget is, yet you're inquiring about one of the most expensive excursions available in Cuba, that's what confused me.

Cheers,

Terry

glasgow
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: getting out and using local services

no problem

my budget is VERY limited

but i would rather blow it on going to Havana (since i am all inclusive in Guardalavaca anyway) and see the capital

no point in going to cuba and not going to havana