We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why?

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
437 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Why?

We have been visiting TA for just over 5 years now and have notice especially on the Guardalavaca forum the nastiness between posters. There have been 3 posts lately where people are just so aggressive towards each other.

Lou Lou is trying to collect info on why everyone seems to be so down about BG, now it is being said she has no intentions of taking the concerns to management. With a person who is a repeat guest like Lou Lou I would think she has met alot of the staff right from the managers to the janitors and they may or may not take her info to heart but at least she is trying to help BG's staff understand the complaints.

Another poster asked people not to tip in forgien currency especially coin and it turned into a free for all about how much to tip a bell hop or the driver of the bus...ect

I personally added some info and was lambasted on the Provincal Health card post and yes some info I posted was older than I thought and that was pointed out to me by Martian24 but I also added info I rec'd from my own insurance company and I was politely(sic) told that me and my insurance company know jack....

We used to come to this forum for information on our trip to Holguin/SRLM but we now come for the entertainment value.

Lighten up please, make this forum enjoyable again.

Ok I am now ready to get slammed!!! lol

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,532 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why?

Hey golfer

Very true. I guess some people just like sticking up for their fav resorts and don't want to hear negatives. We are all the same in some twisted way I'm sure. As for the Health card issue, wouldn't sweat it. Nobody really knows. I'd take my advice from bellagio via NickkiH I believe it is who just went through in Holguin with no issue as texted to him by her.

Cheers

Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Why?

Hey, I agree with you. I found this forum when I got back from vacation and I was just looking to share a bad experience with others who might have been to the same resort (Brisas) or were thinking about going there.

Apparently my opinion about this particular resort happened to be the favourite resort of some pretty influential members here, and they didn't take kindly to my opinion. I was vilified, ganged up on and tormented because of it.

But here's the thing...

I'm not anyone's punching bag. I hit back. Many members showed me a rude welcome and now I treat everyone with the same respect they show me, for good or for bad.

There are some really great and helpful members here like Bellagio who are always respectful, but there are some really rotten apples here with very bad attitudes for whom I have absolutely no respect.

Whitby, Canada
Level Contributor
437 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why?

I would also agree that Belagio is a great source of info but lets not forget Martian24, another fountain f info people should embrace.

Thanks Martian24!!!

Alberton, Canada
Level Contributor
520 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why?

Right on ra cha cha! Some people think yhat if you have a negative review that you should keep it to yourself, well I for one will not be told what i like or dislike.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
6,022 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why?

Well, you know, I agree that everybody has a right to their opinion. I am often surprised at how some topics can turn into such fights. It seems to me that a lot of people get pretty thin-skinned when somebody says something they don't agree with. I even made a simple observation on human nature yesterday that was not aimed at anyone in particular, but was taken the wrong way, and my post got deleted.

Wow! That never happens to me.

As Terry often says, "It's only the internet."

Smiles cost nothing to give, and you will always get many more back in return.

Regards,

Jack

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,703 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why?

The Internet generally sucks as a means of communication. Trying to convey humour/sarcasm/teasing/etc. via an emotionless keyboard is very, very difficult.

Case in point: Ottawa Golfer's mention of me in the OP was mistakenly understood by several forum members as an attack, when it fact it was exactly the opposite. Ironic.

Oh well, it's the nature of the beast. No big deal, it's only the Internet!...

Cheers,

Terry

PS Thanks for the kind words OG, I appreciate it.

Smalltown, Canada
Level Contributor
619 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Why?

Although not a frequent poster, I have followed the Cuba forum for over 3 years. There has always been an entertainment factor, with some light-hearted banter and some really hysterically funny threads (remember the 100 uses for empty cigar tubes?!?)

Over the last while, the increasingly passionate agruments regarding tipping, gifting, dolphins, cats/dogs, etc have lead to some hard feelings that may take a long time to get over. That escalation has already meant the departure of one popular poster and a suspension (I think) of another. Let's hope that people can state their opinions in a way that doesn't lead to any more of that

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
389 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Why?

I also agree we get some great info and advice from Martian24(Terry) and Belagio, but just wanted to mention Mardi. Lots of great info there too. Didn't want him looked over :) Cheers

Thornhill, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Why?

+1 for Mardi

Toronto
Level Contributor
147 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why?

@ Ottawa Golfer and @Rachacha

i definitely agree with both of you.

i respected a lot of opinions until i started getting scathing messages in my inbox telling me where to go, where to travel, and to not be a part of this group. all because i didnt like the food and simply stated it.

this forum is a joke. its gotten to the point there are "buddies" on here that stick together and gang up on other members. not cool. and if you dish it, be prepared to get it right back at ya.

Get answers to your questions about Guardalavaca