We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Hour flight with a 7 month Baby...... HELP

Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
9 Hour flight with a 7 month Baby...... HELP

Im flying to cuba on june 12th 2010.

Im just abit concerned as my daughter will be sat on my knee for 9 hours. Will the airline seat me at the front where the toilets are where there is extra room infront to put her on the floor at times? what about when its meat time? do they save my meal? please can anyone who has travelled with babies help me? I have already mastered how to feed her by taking cartoned milk etc, i just dont think i can cop 9 hours on my baby on my knee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
827 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Hour flight with a 7 month Baby...... HELP

At 7 months your baby is too small and too young to take up her own seat, Are you travelling alone with baby ? or is there someone else with you to offer help.

The seats at the front with more room are sold at a higher price than normal seating, you can try ringing your travel agent to ask about these seats.

Jan

Edited: 03 June 2010, 20:11
West Midlands...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Hour flight with a 7 month Baby...... HELP

No offence -- but rather you than me.

Regards Xen.

Suffolk
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Hour flight with a 7 month Baby...... HELP

Hi I travelled to cuba when my daughter was 9 months old from the UK. There were a few empty seats on the plane so once we were up in the air they jigged a few people around and got us a row of 3 so my husband sat either side and we had a space in the middle of us.. we were lucky I guess. I think the extra leg room seats at the front are the emergency exit seats and are not alowed to be occupied by children. We went again when my daughter was 19 months we laid all the blankets on the floor by our feet and made a bed for her! She slept like a dream..... The also kept my meal warm when it was inconvenient for me. Hope this help! Also some airlines have things called "sky cots" or something like that its like a floating cot?? That hangs in front of you..... google it, im not too sure and have not seen one personally. x

Suffolk
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 Hour flight with a 7 month Baby...... HELP

Also.....I got some looks when I got on the plane with my baby, (I was getting married which was the reason for going) and my baby was an angel. So dont worry about others, you will be fine!! x

Toronto
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 Hour flight with a 7 month Baby...... HELP

Pko4be.....I've done tthe 9 hour flight many times now (not to Cuba....but to Europe) starting from when my son was about 6 months old (he's now 5 1/2 and my daughter is 3....and they've been on an airplane MANY times). Like you, I was really nervous, but in the end, I had no problems. I requested the "bulkhead" which is the row directly behind first class. I don't recall there being an extra charge for this. I requested a crib but it was too small for my son (he was a big boy), so I too just folded up some blankets and kept him on the ground when he wasn't in my arms. Most of the time he just nursed or slept. If he did get cranky, I would just walk him back and forth in the aisles. I was worried about other passengers but I found most were really understanding if he did cry.....some even offered to walk/entertain him (I was travelling alone the first time). As for eating, the flight attendents are always very helpful and accommodating. Try not to worry. Relax and enjoy now.....it gets much more difficult when they're toddlers as they don't want to sit still!!!

Hanover, Canada
Level Contributor
1,118 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 Hour flight with a 7 month Baby...... HELP

I can't think of a less safe place to position you baby than on blankets on the floor. Turbulence could cause servere or worse injuries to your baby unless they are securely latched down.

Buy an extra seat and latch you baby into their car seat. I'm quite surprised that an airline would even allow a baby to be on the plane that is not secured safely in a car seat.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
768 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 Hour flight with a 7 month Baby...... HELP

Ditto on the above. Surprising that car seats aren't mandatory. Would you put your baby on the floor of your car?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
96,793 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 Hour flight with a 7 month Baby...... HELP

Where do you propose putting a car seat on a UK charter flight when the aircraft is full?

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,229 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 Hour flight with a 7 month Baby...... HELP

bellagio: a car seat for an infant will only be allowed on board if an extra seat has been purchased for the infant, or if there is availability on board. I lucked out once with Cubana, flying Tropical class (their version of first class) when my son was 6-months old - they gave me an extra seat for him. If the first class had been full, they would either have asked me to check the car seat with the rest of my luggage, or they would have asked me on board to take my baby in my arms and they would have stowed the car seat in the luggage bins. While it is definitely much safer to use a recognized car seat, most parents will not pay for the extra seat (which is usually as expensive as purchasing a seat for an adult, believe it or not!). I bitterly regretted not paying for a seat when my son was a toddler (18 months), but it was fine when he was a baby (he also came with me at the ripe old age of 7 and 9 months!).

oshawa
Level Contributor
471 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 Hour flight with a 7 month Baby...... HELP

Post 6 and 7. For one how in gods name do think a baby could fit on the floor of the plane there barely enough room for your own legs. And second how would you put the seat beat on the baby seat have you ever looked at the belts on a plane.