We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquito

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
mosquito

Hi, are mosquito's a big problem in Cuba, i always seem to be the one who gets bit! Any recommendations as to what to use?

Thanks

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
587 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquito

Yes they can be, use Skin so Soft (original) from Avon can be used as an after sun, keep windows closed at night. They tend to be most troublsome on an evening do not sit next to water pools on a night. Lots of info within this forum if you do a seach.

Regards Merv

Dunstable, United...
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquito

Nick & Gem Where and when are you going

Bolton
Level Contributor
586 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquito

Hi,

We have just booked our 5th trip to Cuba, I have tried most of the sprays sold as tropical mosquito repellents and still seem to get bitten............................

I was told to try avon skin so soft dry oil spray (green bottles) so on our 3rd visit I took some with me and it actually did work. I used it after a shower before getting dressed and it smells way better than all the chemical sprays on the market (for me anyway) not saying it will work for everyone.

Avon now do a full range of skin so soft products so last time we went I bought the shower gel to. The last 2 trips I have had one bite on the top of my ear, and I am pretty sure it happened in the day time after a rain storm.

I usually get eaten alive ! ! ! !

Hope this helps

Browny123

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquito

We are going to Sol Rio De Luna on the 22nd June

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
51 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquito

Many thanks for this, luckily my Avon book got delievered yesterday so i have just ordered one of the dry oils and the shower gels so here's hoping.

I have brought insect sprays too but these never seem to work for me and its always my legs that end up with big bites.

Really cant wait for our first trip here now

Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquito

Do you wear perfume at nights? If you do you're wasting your time with any mosquito repellant. As I understand it, mosquito repellant doesn't actually repel them but takes away the smell of 'human', ie food! By using perfume or perfumed deodorants, you smell of dinner again!

Newmarket, ON...
Level Contributor
380 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquito

In the end, there really isn't much you can do to protect yourself for mosquito bites. Exposure (ie. being bitten often) allows the body to build up some resistance to the reaction and in the end is your best defence unless you have a source of DEET based repellants. Health concerns over high DEET based repellants are many.

What attracts mosquitos:

1. Carbon dioxide,

2. Body heat,

3. Moisture,

4. Movement,

5. Dark colours,

6. Various chemicals and acids emiited by the body.

What attacts them to us is our very physiology.

Repellents, unless they are very high in DEET, aren't very helpful or long lasting and won't address many of the attractants. Sorry, not really helpful but from someone who grew up in the far north of Ontario, I've had my fair share of the little buggers bite me.

BTW, I brought Muskol last summer because of bites we got wandering around at night in the summer of '08. Thought we'd give it a try. Didn't help at all. Just applied Afterbite which controls the itch. That works great.

Hope this helps

Bob

fife,scotland
Level Contributor
575 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquito

Hi

I get bitten every year but last year a friend suggested original source mint and tea tree oil shower gel worked a treat and only had a few bites instead off double figures.

Kaz

SKELMERSDALE
Level Contributor
721 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mosquito

Hi just back from cuba and last year we were in jamaica we have a tried and tested solution

Go to ASDA buy LIME SHOWER GEL it must b just lime and DONT use purfume or after shave

weve found over the last 8years of travel this works 100% good luck

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mosquito

I get eaten alive when I go to this area of Cuba. My newest "prevention" is the following fo 4 - 6 weeks before I leave;

2 odourless garlic pills a day

1 B Complex pill a day

still spray with deet (my legs) at night.

The last 2 trips I have done this and am down from dozens & dozens to a few. I have heard as many yes' as no's for Skin So Soft.