We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian cell phones

Toronto
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Canadian cell phones

Does anyone know if Telus cell phones work in Cuba. Does it depend on the cell phone company or the type of phone or both.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian cell phones

No Telus whatsover, regardless if it's a blackberry, world phone, regular phone, pay as you go - Telus will not have any phone or data service. You can't even call or text a Cuban phone number from your Telus phone in Canada. Rogers and Bell both have service; don't bother bringing your Telus phone with you, it's about as helpful down there as trying to make a call with your flip flop!

Toronto
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian cell phones

You're right about that, went last year with a friend who had rogers which worked and said welcome to cubacel, but the Telus nothing. So seems like have to change to rogers or bell in order to use a cell phone down there, is that correct?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian cell phones

Rogers/Fido used to be the only GSM 900 network in Canada, but last winter Bell and Telus started sharing a HSPA net work so they now have some models like the iPhone that operate on GSM 900 so they will also work in Cuba too. (My Telus Blackberry World works fine in Cuba.)

Check to see if your phone is GSM 900. If it is then talk about a package with your service provider.

As stated above, voice and text only, no data.

Cheers,

Terry

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian cell phones

Hi Terry - I'm shocked to hear about your Telus phone - I paid a $375 cancellation fee to leave Telus about 2 weeks ago because they confirmed they don't have service in Cuba on any of their phones, don't plan to within the next 1-2 years and due to a " business disagreement" with Cuba Cell, Telus phones can't even call or text a Cuban cell number anymore. If I've been lied to and had for almost $400 that would be good to know!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian cell phones

Barbie, I was just about to edit my post to say that I'm not an expert regarding cell phones in Cuba, I just know what has worked for me. My Telus Blackberry World has worked for years in Cuba, but that's because I put in a Cuban SIM card. Last winter was different though, it worked just fine with no fuss. I also have a Cuban cell so I don't use my Telus Blackberry very often for any calls within Cuba.

We need one cellular expert to write one definitive post covering all the cellular issues for Canadians. (For UK travellers it's very straightforward.)

Cheers,

Terry

Toronto
Level Contributor
428 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian cell phones

Thanks Terry, you are right. Just checked on Telus website and they do have coverage in Cuba on the HSPA international roaming through Cubacel. They have Cuba in the list of countries as well as a map of Cuba showing the areas of coverage. This info wasn't there a few months ago, but is there now. The rates are $4 for voice and 60cents per text. And has to be GSM 900.

Mississauga
Level Contributor
707 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canadian cell phones

son just got back from cuba a week ago, borrowed My Rogers cell, only one that works down there for now

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Canadian cell phones

"... borrowed My Rogers cell, only one that works down there for now..."

========================================

That is incorrect. Read previous posts on this thread, starting with #3.

Cheers,

Terry

Mississauga
Level Contributor
707 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canadian cell phones

I stand corrected

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,664 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canadian cell phones

Your statement was correct until fairly recently though, Tony. Things change, even in Cuba!

Cheers,

Terry

Get answers to your questions about Guardalavaca
Recent Conversations